Fencing in your garden....

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

We had a thread on fencing a while back when I was looking for something a bit quirky......!! It's link is:

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27749

I rather fancied the ones I found in post #9 but there are lots more on the thread.

So glad it is Spring at last -- so much to do if only the soil would dry out a bit more -- we had a lot of rain here in the UK yesterday; big sigh.......!! :hit

:hit Hattie :hit

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I only do t-post and plastic green fence around some garden areas in the back.In the front yard I have no fence.I do have the start of a living fence with ornamental grasses,but it certainly won't keep out the critters.

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
100_3836.JPG

I put this one together a few weeks ago because our fencline grew and this garden is now inside of our yard fence line with the chickens & dogs.

This fence is made of every scrap in the yard and protects a mixed early season crop and then the sweet potatoes through fall.

Posts are MOSTLY green step in yard posts 4'
Others are large sticks, and some flexible driveway markers (which by the way are AWESOME for fencing)

Far side is fruit tree netting
The back is lattice, a palette and a length of chain link fence.
The closest side is hex/chicken wire & cheap white plastic fencing, semi supported with the pool ladder that will be for my spaghetti squash vine.
The front is both chicken wire & a scrap of welded wire.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We see a few deer here, but really my own chickens are the worst devastators of my garden! :lol:

Got my tax return back this week, so DH and I went out yesterday and bought some fencing.............for the chickens! We're fencing the whole back 40 just for them. This will keep them out of my garden and no more chicken poop in my yard. :sick I've determined that there is not much else I can do over my septic leach field so it's best suited to be chicken pasture.

We got the t-posts set yesterday, but it will probably be next Saturday until we get time to put up the fence itself. I got knotted 2"x4" horse fencing which will also keep any stray dogs out (even those dang min-pins!) and I am so ecstatic because I will also be set up for when I am ready to buy a couple milk goats.

ETA: (pics)
6486_dscf2576.jpg

6486_dscf2577.jpg

For the occasional deer I do get (even though we do live in the country, the way our land and the main road lies keeps most of them from passing through here too often), I usually apply a liquid deer repellant once or twice and they leave my garden alone. I've bought Liquid Fence for years, but my mom told me about this recipe she saw this week from the WVU ag extension during their midday question and answer program on the local news. This guy always has great advice... Rotten egg is the main ingredient in the store-bought deer repellants, so I'm glad to hear you can make your own so cheaply!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Wifezilla -- I love that photo of the Wrecker Ducks; they look so sweet amongst the frothy plants. The essence of Spring !! :D

:bee Hattie :bee

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, in their defense, the bishop's weed was starting to get overgrown. That is no longer a problem due to their "help". In fact, I will be lucky if I don't have to go to the front yard and get a plug or two to fill in the bald spots! :p

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I love my silly ducks. They were just getting through their goofy teenager stage when they discovered that bishop's weed is nom.

Like others, I have learned it is easier to fence the plants than the critters.
1003428b.jpg

Can't you just see Wendy & Shelley scheming trying to figure out how to get to those dragon tongue beans???

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the old timey fencing with the rounded wire on top was more than just decorative. I'm thinking it was to keep chickens from hopping on top and then hopping down into the garden.

I would love to find some of that kind of wire to put around my garden!

I was going to go with t post around the garden but am thinking I will price wooden, untreated fence posts instead. It will look better and will be more sturdy for when I trellis my many tomato plants, cukes, and smaller pumpkins on the fence.

Around here, T-posts cost $4-$5 each.

Latest posts