Fencing in your garden....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you! I intend to dress it up as much as possible with all my garden vines trellised on the fencing and plenty of sunflowers and annuals in the corners.

We are putting a row around the inner perimeter for tomatoes, beans, cukes, small pumpkins, etc. Then, the middle will have rows alternating with permanent paths seeded with rye and white and red clover. These will be the pathways from now on.

In the winter I will be keeping a row or two covered with hoops and plastic for a four season harvest of lettuces, carrots, broccoli, etc.

We will also plant winter wheat in all the remaining garden beds and will utilize the garden space as one of the winter feed rotations. I figure the sheep can trim it down a few times before snow falls and again in the early spring.

I have another fenced in area that serves as a winter pen for the sheep that I will be plowing up for corn and pumpkins overseeded with clover. After the corn and pumpkins are done I'll turn in the sheep and then plow it up for planting turnips and beets. This too will be a winter feed ration, along with my stored pumpkins and winter squash.

I've read that livestock can trim down turnip and beet tops 3-4 times and not hurt the growth of the plant. Then they can eat the turnips and beets, as they will have exposed tops.

Can't wait to get everything planted and growing! :watering

gapeachy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
BeeKissed, I think your fenced garden looks great..your yard is so pretty, I finaly got my garden planted yesterday just in time for this good soaking rain....

Latest posts