Fencing in your garden....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, I think you are right...I will have a devil of a time trying to find untreated posts. :( I'll think of something....

Vfem, I've read about bamboo flooring and they say that it is nigh indestructible! Just think of the trellises, pergolas, fencing and other things you can make with it....I would love to have a stand of bamboo on my place!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just so you know, we drove around the country area near where we live to have found this. Start looking for a wild growing thicket somewhere. Really... it may be your life saver with what it will save you in $$$$.

Ask around, maybe someone knows where some is?

It grows like CRAZY and some people want it cut away for free anyways because its invasive.

gapeachy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My sister has a big bamboo field so one year I use them for my pole beans and the first big wind they were on the ground....maybe I did not support them good enough....I really did not like working with bamboo....I could not get them to go into the ground far enough.....I decided to use old land scape timbers on the ends of my garden so only 4 then t-post in the middle....my garden butts up to my chicken pen hopefully will work ok.....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Down where I used to live they have large groves of it here and there but none up here....may be too cold here, not sure. Or folks just don't plant bamboo here. They don't get too experimental with their gardening in these here parts.... :rolleyes:

I've decided on locust fence posts as they seem to be the most cost efficient for the product. They are only $1.50 less than the T-post here and they will create a more sturdy fenceline. I need that extra support if I am going to trellis my maters, cukes, peas, small pumpkins on the perimeter fence.

gapeachy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I need a new idea for tomato trellis... i have never tied them up to the fence....I have staked and used wire.... I am thinking about building something out of 2x4's...but i do 2 rows of tomato's 50' feet long so that would be alot of work....any idea's?.....also last year my cukes ran everywhere ...I planted a hybrid version and they even ran up my okra stalks.....that was weird

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My hubby drives fence posts about 4-5 feet apart, attaches cattle panels, then as the tomato grows, we weave the plant thru the panel squares, wa.la..bery easy and has worked for us for years. we do makes some ties out of old sheets or what ever, and any that dont cooperate gets tied up to the panel..

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
gapeachy said:
I need a new idea for tomato trellis... i have never tied them up to the fence....I have staked and used wire.... I am thinking about building something out of 2x4's...but i do 2 rows of tomato's 50' feet long so that would be alot of work....any idea's?.....also last year my cukes ran everywhere ...I planted a hybrid version and they even ran up my okra stalks.....that was weird
I have used/am using a trellis made from "weed trees" that grow along my fence and any place else they daxx well please!!
WeedTrees.jpg

Its called, Tree of heaven - Ailanthus altissima , and heres a site to read about it.
http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/pages/invasive-plants.htm
They grow 5 ft/year and are a real nuisance, but if you cut them down at one inch diameter they can be really straight and about 7-8 foot tall. I used them for just supports in my garden last year. The thinner and smaller ones dried up and got burned on my burn pile--they could just as easily be compost material. I was concerned that, having been cut green and notoriously prolific, might sprout, but none of the 10 I used ever did sprout--they were dead after cutting. I'm going to weave them and tie them together with used twine and cheap closeline (and, probably, baling twine, which is the "horseowner's duct tape of choice.") :lol:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
gapeachy said:
I used recycled chain link fencing this past year and it did very well. I have also trellised teepee style in a long row. I think the previous advice about cattle panels would work better than anything if one is just wanting sturdy, reusable trellising. It can be taken down when the garden is done and stored flat.

Cattle panels are my new favorite thing! :bee

I am building a strong perimeter fence this year to keep out the chickens, dogs and sheeples. I am plowing a row around the entire fence and trellising all my vines there and then establishing permanent rows and pathways in the center of the garden. My garden will be horseshoe shaped this year. I'll post pics if I think of it!

I would love to use cattle panels for this endeavor but the chickens would walk right through them, so I'm using welded wire fencing.

Anything sticking through or above the wire is fair game to the animals and will keep my garden looking neat and trimmed. ;)

gapeachy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
BeeKissed, How big is your garden? mine is about 20x50 on the end it butts up to the chicken pen on one side it is next to the goat pasture....but they cant get thru to the garden....the rest is 4" by 4" sturdy dog wire.....I have a hard time turing my big tiller on the corners..(my husband thought i need the biggest tiller they had) it is so heavy.....I plant big sunflowers along the outside of my garden.... I have a really hard time keeping weeds out between the rows though....I love the cattle fencing also we have some of it for the goats....the goats really dont do damage to the garden if they get out ...for some reason they go for my young apple trees and cypress trees.....would rather them go for the garden because it would be cheaper and easier to replace....

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of bamboo i have in my garden :D . I planted it awhile back for my bird aviary that i keep close by, it keeps the birds nice and cool in the summer, and i even think the bamboos act as a windbreak. I cut a few poles of it every now and then for using in and around the garden. Their is one problem that i have with the bamboo they send out these rhizomes underground that spread all across the garden, and if i dont remove them they would grow everywhere, their pretty invasive. I'm thinking of putting a barrier around the bamboo bed to keep all the rhizomes together in one place. This way i won't have to constantly dig them up by hand. I'm trying to get a peach tree or so planted nearby so i don't want the rhizomes to disturb the fruit trees.