fig leaves

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have used them to decorate my plates
used them to make smoke for a BBQ flavor

bought cheeses that had been wrapped in them

I just wondered if anyone had ever stuffed them and used them like vine leaves?

can you eat them?

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My Armenian Godmother taught me how to stuff grape leaves. I am going to look for the recipes right now! She also taught me what kind of grape leaves to pick to use, but I always cheated and bought mine. There is a meatless version and a version made with meat. BRB!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
My Armenian Godmother taught me how to stuff grape leaves. I am going to look for the recipes right now! She also taught me what kind of grape leaves to pick to use, but I always cheated and bought mine. There is a meatless version and a version made with meat. BRB!
LOL I just posted that I ended up making stuffed vine leaves yesterday! they were freaking fantastic!

the meatless version I make is usually with cooked bulger wheat with lentils ..the meat version is usually half lamb half beef with lots of fresh parsley , mint, and spring onions or garlic
it is kind of like a meat loaf or meat ball with a little rice toss in if you want to ..an egg per pound of meat...salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, I just keep tossing until the filling tastes right

now I just have to not strip my grape vines makeing stuffed vine leaves!

Armenian food is wonderful ..lot's of garlic!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ps I topped my stuffed vine leaves with fig leaves in the Dutch oven and the taste was outstanding the fig leaves have a slight vanilla flavor to them and really helped pull the rhubarb and tomatoes together in the sauce!

I am going to wrap goat cheese and grill it in fig leaves this weekend for an app for my husbands bday dinner

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I never tried food wrapped in fig or grape leaves before. And yet i pruned a few fig branches with good leaves on them that i could of made something with those leaves instead of going in the compost.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok if you have a fig tree and can spare some leaves ..and love food ...then you have to try grilling something wrapped in a fig leaf!

the fragrance is magnificant! it gives food a slight vanilla figgy essence ..I can see many uses for these leaves I just have to not strip my tree experimenting!

I want to get some halibut and try that... the flavor screams white fish to me!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
Ok if you have a fig tree and can spare some leaves ..and love food ...then you have to try grilling something wrapped in a fig leaf!

the fragrance is magnificant! it gives food a slight vanilla figgy essence ..I can see many uses for these leaves I just have to not strip my tree experimenting!

I want to get some halibut and try that... the flavor screams white fish to me!
Interesting, i should try it one day. Maybe i'll cook fish in it. I'm guessing you cant cook with it in a BBQ since it could burn the leaf.
Thanks for motivating me to try it, i'm interested in trying doesnt hurt.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
They sell fresh hallibut right up the road from me...hmmm. I have one little fig tree and it just leafed out, and it is probably thinking "Oh GREAT here SHE comes :rolleyes:."

Please ellaborate a little on how to wrap and grill hallibut for us HiDelight. (I'm a simple cook with little cooking imagination!) Do you spray or line the grill? Do you use toothpicks to hold the leaves around or wrap them all up in foil? Pray tell! It sounds delicious! (Do you eat the fig leaves or are they like a bay leaf? Inquiring minds want to know!)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I ate the fig leaves that cooked down in the sauce for the stuffed vine leaves and they tasted really good

you can just make a little package either like a burrito or ..hmmm how do I define this in words ...fold over push corners in fold over?
then put some string around it ..put it right on the grill over the same heat you would cook fish ..if the packet scortches it is ok the perfume of the leaves will permiate the fish ...

I have tossed the leaves on the grill before and just let them kind of perfume the food as well ..just not a super high grill ...a medium to low grill or indirect if you use coals

I know my poor tree is ducking too :p it does not want me to take anymore leaves...I have a tiny fig tree I think I can take a few off of

I know the grape vines are going to produce big time so I have plenty of those to stuff this year

Latest posts