Figs zone 5 or further north?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The varieties mentioned should survive zone 5 weather. Survive means that the plant may die down to the ground, but regrow in the spring. This is 'normal' for the trees.

I bring mine inside for the winter where they reside in my cool sun room.

Check on line for ways to care for your tree. I have seen advice on overwintering the whole tree, by root cutting on one side of the tree and bending the trunk down to the ground where it can be heavily mulched. Come spring, remove the mulch and stand the tree back up.

The next fall cut the roots on the opposite side and bend down for mulching. This way is supposed to grow a good sized tree in a colder zone. I've never tried it myself. . . . . yet.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The varieties mentioned should survive zone 5 weather. Survive means that the plant may die down to the ground, but regrow in the spring. This is 'normal' for the trees.

I bring mine inside for the winter where they reside in my cool sun room.

Check on line for ways to care for your tree. I have seen advice on overwintering the whole tree, by root cutting on one side of the tree and bending the trunk down to the ground where it can be heavily mulched. Come spring, remove the mulch and stand the tree back up.

The next fall cut the roots on the opposite side and bend down for mulching. This way is supposed to grow a good sized tree in a colder zone. I've never tried it myself. . . . . yet.

Yes, there was a story on NPR about Italian immigrants in Pennsylvania that brought their favorite varieties here. They keep them going by pulling them over and burying them for the winter. It seems like a lot of work, but maybe not so bad if you used a tractor to assist.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My father has a Italian immigrant fig, People bought house next door riped out threw in trash. It is the most amazing tree it surives a NY winter with no protection plus rippens fruit before cold weather. It is a unknow variety i am sure was bought back from italy.Sending Steve cuttng to root anyone else want some let me know.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@TheSeedObsesser figs grow well in pots. If you move you can take with you. If you want to try I can send you cutting in spring. Fig are supose to root easy.

I would highly appreciate a cutting or two. The local Lowes sells some huge plastic pots that would work perfectly. One of my grandpa's used to live in Florida and had a few fig trees on his property, so might be pleasantly surprised to see one growing up here. Very cool that you have a who-knows-how-old fig variety with a family connection also.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, how many years before a cutting would bear fruit? I would love a cutting to eventually plant in a large pot but I don't have the patience of Job. :(

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary, I had fruit last fall from a cutting I received in 2013. The fruit grows along the trunk and the tree doesn't have to be very old before it appears. Certainly, I've had figs growing on trees long before the dwarf apple trees were bearing.

Latest posts