Figs

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I picked up a fig tree today, the variety is Celeste. I've never grown figs before so this will be interesting. The tree is about four feet tall, and it has about seven branches coming from the base. Paid $30 for it, seemed like a good deal to me. I'm really excited to get some figs from it.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's a great way to get figs quickly! Celeste is a good choice for winter hardiness. Plant in a protected spot (against a sunny wall would be a warm and sheltered spot) and protect through the first few winters, and enjoy your figs!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fig preserves are the best! A friend at church gave me figs last year and I made strawberry fir preserves and lemon fig preserves. Yummy! You will love, love, love your fig tree!

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've only ever had dried figs, and they are very good. I actually got the tree to have figs for my little bratty parrot. But she is going to have to share with me. The more I read about them the more I'm looking forward to trying them fresh.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grow all kinds of things for her, and my other animals too. Ziva (she's a pineapple green cheek conure) eats mostly a chopped diet, which is a mix of fresh and frozen fruits, veggies and grains. I make a large batch up and then freeze it, defrosting what she needs daily. So everything I grow she gets some of. We both love raw red peppers. Some of the things I've grown for her are collard greens, kale, mustard greens, swiss chard, beets, carrots, sweet potatoes and the greens, broccoli, green beans, lima beans, bell peppers, all kinds of squash and zucchini, sugar snap peas... I also grow some edible flowers like pansies and nasturtium. This year I'm trying to grow quinoa. I've also given her grass seed heads and has some oats pop up. Oh, and herbs, mint, anise hyssop and lemon grass are favorites. She loves lemon grass. I will pick the long blades and braid them together and let them dry. Then when she chews them up the room smells like lemon. Small sunflower heads make great toys if I can get to them before the gold finches and squirrels. I also pick dandelion, clover and violets out of the lawn.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Latest posts