Filling my Raised boxes?

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have read several threads and seen many great idas, but I am still not sure what to use. I have built some new beds 4 x 12 18 inches deep. Weed barrier below and wire on bottom to keep gophers out. I thought about using a lasagna garden method to fill up half way and them top off with compost. I am worried about newspint ink. So then I got to thinking about straw chafs and how maybe if I layered those in they would take up space. I have access to horse manure, not sure if is fully composted though. I would like to fill the beds now so they have time to settle before spring. Maybe evern get in some cool season crops. Chicken manure is out I just used it all in the orchard.
Any ideas?
How about peat moss, straw, manure layers? I really don't want to have to buy compost, it's expensive around here and I have several beds to fill. Any and all advice more than welcome, thanks gina

hollybird

Sprout
Reaction score
i used lots of perlite and coco in my beds. the compost i kept down about 10" just far enough to catch on the spade fork when i want to turn things. compost and mulch can add too much organic matter. i'd save more for top dressing later and keep the topsoil in the 3-8" or so from getting too overloaded. traceminerals affect taste a lot. just my 2 cents.

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
For our strawberries I used top soil, garden soil, sawdust and peat moss. Occasionally, I freshen up with compost in the spring. I don't have raised beds for anything else. Hope that helps a little bit. :)

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used top soil from home depot but it was mostly sand and lacking in something that nothing ever grew. I got a sprouts but nothing but peas grew. I did put aged compost from my house which included kitchen and grass clipping. Next spring, I am going to get good soil ( I hope) from a local nursury. My beds were 16" tall and filled 12-14 deep.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's the exact problem I am trying to avoid. My SIL has a board and care and she put in a huge raised garden. I would go voulenteer to help plant etc.. but the soil she used "top soil" had no life in it. I had to amend a ton. So for my personal beds I an going with straight poop, compost and pete. I went yesterday and picked up a few more bails of straw. I figure it to be the cheapest organic matter I can fill with. Then put all the good stuff on top. In spring I will do a ph test and then add whats necessary. I guess if I want fall crops I will have to spring for the stuff at the store. Wish me luck!:)

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You need a lot of soil as your beds are deep, I would add everything I could find to compost including everything you mentioned and layer it like leaves,newspapers grass,some fertilizer add a bag or 2 of bag dirt, veggie scraps more leaves and more soil , a box or 2 of fishing worms ,some plain corn meal (to feed worms) spread everything down those row's layered and top with more bought soil ,water a little and plant winter stuff after you grow what you want, plant rye grass or oats on it and let it set till spring if you need more stuff for the garden to fill it up, use leaves as they are lots of leaves this time of year and they break down quick.
To break down those leaves spread the out on lawn and mow over them and then use your bagger and mow again,chopping them up in smaller size and bagging them, leaves will do wonders for your soil.
dont use any colored ink paper tho ;)

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. That's exactly my plan. I am adding poop this weekend. Maybe next it will be mulch and so on. This is exactly why I started the boxes so early. I want to have time to fill them well and prepare for next spring. No I am not an over acheiver or anything. :D Just eager for next season. G

I am on the hunt for a pressure canner. I am working towards puttig up veggies next year.

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm doing a similar thing this weekend, so all the comments here are helpful to me as well!

Thanks Tanks for starting this thread!

Latest posts