FINALLY! A Pawpaw tree!!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been searching for 4+ years, tried two separate orders of seeds, searched woods & FB, online was always sold out....

Then I saw them!
Could only afford one, though. Suckers are terribly overpriced!
20220627_173204.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would love to try this fruit, I've only ever heard of it in folk songs. What does it taste like? I tried quince for the first time last year - they are 3$ each! - and I must say it was delicious poached. Makes me wonder what other wonderful North American fruits I'm missing out on!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We a grove of on our land that seems to be native. They are so expensive (the fruit and the live trees) because of how perishable the seeds and fruit are. It makes transportation and propagation difficult.

i've never tried one but by the description they sound pretty good and i would probably like them. we're towards the northern part of their range so i don't know how easy it would be to grow them with success, but since the deer don't eat them it would be tempting to me to try. we don't have much for cool and shady here though. not like i'm going to be able to do this any time soon, but it is something to keep in mind.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Martin's sells a mix of exotic fruits and we bought one of each. No Pawpaw, no one even knows what it is. Anyway, they didn't taste like Google said they should. One was sweet, way too sweet, but only half of it. Others weren't good at all.
Tried finding a pawpaw after that, but people show us the papaya instead. 🤦🏽‍♀️ Even on Google, people confuse the two.

I'm hoping it's good, but who knows.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Should of waited longer...
10 a tree!
20220710_173810.jpg

$80 one in the round pot. 🙄 If nursery wasn't an hour away, I'd return it!

Latest posts