FINALLY getting around to planting behind the house

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, it used to the be the front porch on a trailer near work. Several years ago, it was sitting by the road and they were building a great big screen porch. After a couple of days, I stopped and asked what they were going to do with it. "Take it to the dump as soon as I can get someone here with a trailer." The next day I was there with a trailer. I had to add about a foot to the posts to make it reach the door - but it was better than the empty drop-off that was there.
Now, being the terrible packrat that I am, I'm trying to figure out where I can use the parts that are coming off.
..... hummm wonder if the girls could use some steps in the coop........

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coop steps! That was my very first thought well before I read your last line!

I mentioned today to DS that I wanted a front porch for both my coop and my garden shed. I'd like the buildings to look like homes and have a bit of personality. Now I get to hurry up and wait for porches.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually I think one like that is at the back door of the place we are buying. :lol: The front step is some flimsy fiberglass thing. I can see a foot going through the top step when we start moving in! Haha, be better to move it and just back the truck up to the front door!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
NEW PORCH!!!! I LOVE IT!!
IT was sort of a 'design on the fly' and we decided to go with a series of box steps. Once the hydrangea and azaleas get in on the sides they will almost look like they're floating.
DSCF0755.JPG

DSCF0758.JPG

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
WHOOO--EEEEEEE!!!! That's what we call pickin' in tall cotton!! (redneck speak for super wonderful) :thumbsup

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup, sure are. That's the only thing, I'm sure, that has saved my neck all these years. Only the right side opens. Otherwise I'm sure I would have opened the left side as some point and steped out onto nothing over steps..

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice! That will really look neat when all the landscaping grows in around it. It would be pretty with flowerpots going down the sides too.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yea, we spent a lot of time over the weekend 'planning' out various ways to decorate it. Pots along the steps was a favorite. I'm thinking that I might put a bakers rack on the top, left side and fill with small pots (or use for hardening off seedlings)...
Climatis planted behind the rail side so it can climb along the posts..
A verticle slate sign on the face of that last post...
A flag off the top left side to hang out over the plants...
and on and on and on :D

Latest posts