FINALLY getting around to planting behind the house

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
pots on steps and deck might be purty, but the other side of the coin is the huge increase of daily mainainence. :ep What a chore ! :( I found out the hard way ... NO more pots. :celebrate

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks so good! You definitely need clematis, and a daylily or two...;)

If you go with clematis, pick two different colors and plant them together in the same hole. They look very cool when blooming.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
pots on steps and deck might be purty, but the other side of the coin is the huge increase of daily mainainence. :ep What a chore ! :( I found out the hard way ... NO more pots. :celebrate

I like watering.
smile.gif
That's usually the last thing I do in the evening - just before it gets too dark to see I'm topping off all the pots, baskets and small beds.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since I got interrupted in the middle of the above post and I forgot to include ... another thing to consider is mold growth between the pots and deck wood from daily watering. Then the dry rot that eventually forms in the deck wood from being constantly under wet conditions and eventually the deck wood will have to be replaced. Expensive ! :barnie

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL - you REALLY don't like pots huh?
I keep the 'grills' from the front and back of box fans. When cut to just a little bigger than the water catcher under the pot, they allow any spilled/leaked water to dry quickly.
Also - did you know that the fastest way to resurface a deck is to unscrew and flip the deck boards over? You'll have a new deck in 1 afternoon and only have to replace any boards that were cut to fit around posts. (learned that this past weekend
thumbsup.gif
)

Latest posts