Finally got a garden moment...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's been a long miserable summer. I've been sick longer then I'd like to admit. In fact last week I got bronchitis and a double ear infection to go with the the fact my body is still weak from the long July of illnesses that got me. I've never felt so old in all my life, and I'm still pretty young. I can't believe my body has taken the beating it has this year. Its just been a terrible year altogether.

My husband finally got a job this year after being unemployed for a year and he's been working a massive amount of hours physically hard for a salary of $500 a week. They don't pay overtime so after all the time and energy he puts in, he comes home broken and torn with nothing more to show for it. It also means he hasn't been able to help around here much, the little he has done consists of dishes and time with the daughter... and I don't blame him one bit.

So my garden has suffered, pickings were few and far inbetween. Most things got torn up, burnt out or over ripened before I could get them. I got less then 1/2 the canning done I've needed. The chickens however have eaten very well from everything that never made it in the house.

Today was the first time in a LONG time I've had any energy at all, or time, to spend in the garden. I mostly removed dead plants and weeds, but did manage to get some compost turned into a couple of beds at least. I hadn't spent much time on the compost pile so it wasn't heaped up very well and only the back left corner really had good usable composted material for me. So I'll be lacking what I need for the other beds I was going to plant garlic in. Now I'm wondering if I should even bother with the garlic this year, but I know I need it... garlic is a MUST for us. :mow

Well, for today I'm going to smile since I actually accomplished something! Just needed to share since I haven't been very involved here as of late. :p

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
"V" I am sorry to hear things havent been good where you are...I hope you get well soon...I know how disheartening it is when your body rebels...I have Fibromyalgia and there are times when I just cannot do what I want to do... fortunetly this year I have been able to do more then usual... again I hope you are on the mend and stay well now...Pam

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am sooo sorry you are sick.:( I was sick a few years ago for an extended period of time and it was exhausting being exhausted) So I feel your pain and I am sending you prayers of health. :D

I say, definitely plant garlic! It is good for you and it is a welcome friend in winter.

My other advise is to not feel bad about all this. Instead, enjoy your garden as best you can AND don't over-do it now that you are feeling a little better. That is always my downfall.

Sit in your garden and let the incredible energy fill you. Don't think about what is undone. Focus on thankfulness. It does my body and mind good.

You will be well again.

Don't miss what this time is offering by wanting it to be something else. Life is in the now; in case you didn't know, it's all you'll ever have! LOL
Blessings in Christ (yes, I said it),
April

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well I have got to control my impulsive need to DO something all the time! :lol:

I forced myself to go back out and finish up a bit, didn't do much though... but I did get some pictures to share since I'm so proud of the work I did accomplish today, no matter how little it was. Thanks for the well wishes, I hope this is the last bad health year I have for awhile. :)

14084_garden-9-11-1.jpg

14084_garden-9-11-2.jpg

14084_garden-9-11-3.jpg

I let some lettuce bolt last spring and forgot about it with everything going on. I've been blessed with a new mix of salad greens that came up. :) YUM!
14084_garden-9-11-4.jpg

14084_garden-9-11-5.jpg

I planted Brussel Sprouts on the East side of the house in April, they didn't amount to much but started growing again this past month. Look, they are actually getting some sprouts in. I may get to eat some after all!
14084_garden-9-11-6.jpg

14084_garden-9-11-7.jpg

First time I've seen my rosemary in bloom. It's blue!
14084_garden-9-11-8.jpg

My bantam cochin and japanese bantam coop.
14084_garden-9-11-9.jpg

14084_garden-9-11-10.jpg

My beds all cleaned out and weeded. Got some compost in for the fall plantings. Still have to make room for garlic.
14084_garden-9-11-11.jpg

Final bloom for my hibiscus this year.
14084_garden-9-11-12.jpg

Enjoy! :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You see, how hard you are on yourself! Everything looks absolutely beautiful!! I am glad you are feeling better- and hope that you will put illness behind you! The thing I love about planting garlic- is the part that is like magic. Winter comes and is terrible and then in the spring you see that the garlic survived and is ready to greet the new gardening season! Hoping better days are ahead for you and your family! Love, love, love the hens and chicks in the boots!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
You see, how hard you are on yourself! Everything looks absolutely beautiful!! I am glad you are feeling better- and hope that you will put illness behind you! The thing I love about planting garlic- is the part that is like magic. Winter comes and is terrible and then in the spring you see that the garlic survived and is ready to greet the new gardening season! Hoping better days are ahead for you and your family! Love, love, love the hens and chicks in the boots!!!
I love those boots too! AND Hubby just wore out another pair we had to replace, so NEW PLANTERS!!!! :lol:

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Vfem,
I hope you get much better soon :hugs , I couldn't imagine being that sick and not be able to enjoy being outside around the garden.
Is that a duck on top of your roof? :lol: I didn't know you had ducks too, along with your hens. That view of that lake is just breath-taking I bet that duck must really love being in that type of setting, a duck's dream.

Get better soon V ;)

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So sorry your body is defying you. Kind of hurts my feelings when my body turns on me. Take it slow at first hopefully its only temporary - it must feel good to be back outside playing/working!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vfem..I've been wondering about how you were feeling. Did they ever diagnois what you had in July or was it August?

I want you to go to your garden in the evening with a glass of ice tea, a note pad, and start dreaming/planning your spring garden!

Mary

p.s. Make that a glass of wine!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lets hope you will continue to perk up as the weater cools off. This heat has everyones metabolism out of whack. I loved those succulents in the boots. The one coming out of the split seam got a laugh out of me.
The bees really go for my rosemary when it blooms. I wonder what the honey tastes like.

Latest posts