Finally I get a Greenhouse! Such Drama!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well,

To be honest, the aviary took me a month of working 2-3 hours here or there, and was $500 worth of materials.

Adding and removing certain features could enable me to build a Walk-in, custom greenhouse for around $500 in materials. I wonder if I should begin by just doing designs and then I should render some drawings with pictures and just park myself downtown and wait for someone to grab the worm! I wonder how much I could make?

It certainly would keep me busy! :mow

Ron

country lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Gosh, Ron, you do beautiful work! I'm hoping there's a small greenhouse in my future. DH brings it up from time to time, a lean-to off my potting shed. Your buildings are up-town nice!

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What, it's not wrapped in plastic yet?? My gosh, man! I would have thought you already had starts in there! What's the hold-up?? ;) j/k

I look forward to seeing your finished work and hearing all your accomplishments. Once you get going you will wonder how the heck you EVER did without it!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
country lady said:
Gosh, Ron, you do beautiful work! I'm hoping there's a small greenhouse in my future. DH brings it up from time to time, a lean-to off my potting shed. Your buildings are up-town nice!
Why thank you Country Lady, I think these are all the things I dreamed of building when I was a little gardener! LOL

You remember when you were little you would say to yourself, "when I grow up I am going to have" ...yup, I don't think I missed anything! ...well, except a greenhouse! :coolsun

Ron

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
What, it's not wrapped in plastic yet?? My gosh, man! I would have thought you already had starts in there! What's the hold-up?? ;) j/k

I look forward to seeing your finished work and hearing all your accomplishments. Once you get going you will wonder how the heck you EVER did without it!
I have like 100ft or more of that 6 mil opaque dropcloth plastic they sell at Lowe's Home Improvements. I found out that it blocks the good rays and within one winter it becomes brittle and shatters in the wind...in one night the entire bunny flight shattered into a baGazillion pieces! I cried! :hit

The only good that drop plastic does is heat up the enclosure...would be great for mushrooms!

The good stuff, the real stuff is ordered. So 10-14 days they will ship, and then a few days of a journey...then I can put on my Super Cape and in a Flash have this covered. I have been working on the logistics in my head (am bad about that when I have a project...I immerse my every thought into it) I am pretty excited.

All the inside birds are re-arranged! Only a few bites. After last nights drop in temp, today is the day the two old Lovies come in from outside. They will hate this, but will learn to adore the heat of the Winter, and all the excitement that happens in the house. It literally sounds like a forest in here! LOL :weee

Some folks do not like little chattering birds (not talking about Conures that SCREAM), but like parakeets and my Lovies (I can only handle a few on the Lovie Decibel Scale), but I find the chatter of birds can lift a room's Spirit. I find that 'other worldly' energies do not like all the busyness of birds and their chatter.

It is odd, it is like when you are in the outdoors somewhere and suddenly without realizing why you notice all the birds stopped singing! Isn't that really strange to feel, like a storm coming!

OH...that's right we were talking about Greenhouses!

Almost done! LOL :bee

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A long long time ago, LOL, well a few years anyways, when I moved into this house. I had so many plants to move. I am not bragging, I had over 200 different species of plants in my possession!

Not all of them required protection from winter, but some did and some that didn't still perished. I had to pull everything in September! Even my roses got pulled in September and thrown into pots.

So I rushed about trying to figure something out for them as October, and then November came rolling in; so I built this temporary structure directly to the backdoor of the house. This is also the spot where the dryer vent is! It helped, and it was work because like I said this dropcloth plastic from the home improvement stores is no good for growing....only heating.

This is what I did...mind the odd looking yard! LOL :frow
zum6gg.jpg

wj6on9.jpg

Those big doors just swung open during the day ...then closed up at night. I would then leave my backporch light on, and it would glow at night! LOL I could walk out the backdoor into this structure at night with the light on and be toasty warm tending my plants...it was kind-cool.

2m3mbs9.jpg

Again, the plastic just shredded before long!...but, then it was Spring and I tore it all down!

I do use this plastic to cover my mulch pile to heat it up. :woot

I cannot wait to get the real stuff the UV Polyfilm!!

Ron :coolsun:watering

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
It helped, and it was work because like I said this dropcloth plastic from the home improvement stores is no good for growing....only heating.

Ron :coolsun:watering
Why is the opaque not good for growing? I was thinking of a mini greenhouse thing around a couple of container-grown tomatoes with the hopes of tomatoes in winter. This opaque stuff won't work?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you used the opaque stuff for heating it would work fine.

Like for instance: If you use this stuff to make a mini hoop cover for a coldframe over winter lettuce, then it would work.

The problem is long-term more than the Lack of light. One season and my plastic is done for!

For optimal growth UV and Infrared are needed as well as the white range. It is all science to me, but I know that this opaque plastic will keep all good light out and only let through the infrared spectrum...HOT! But, it works well with Lettuce and other tender greens.

Ron

here is a 'How-to' article http://www.ehow.com/how_4448646_build-mini-greenhouse.html

Oh wait, this one is better: I like the pictures too! http://www.gardendesk.com/cabbage/

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This has been the most interesting and helpful thread! Our Son is law is thinking of building all of us a green house. we have an old house on the property, thinking of using old window panes, and old usable lumber from it(poor people have poor ways!!) we are only in the dreaming stage for now. Losts of good info, pics, and entertaining stories.! there is an old decorative screen door frame that I want to latch onto for climbing roses frame.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
4grandbabies said:
This has been the most interesting and helpful thread! Our Son is law is thinking of building all of us a green house. we have an old house on the property, thinking of using old window panes, and old usable lumber from it(poor people have poor ways!!) we are only in the dreaming stage for now. Losts of good info, pics, and entertaining stories.! there is an old decorative screen door frame that I want to latch onto for climbing roses frame.
OMGosh I am really pleased to hear you say that! I do hope you can see that I am thrifty above all else!

I think it is important that everyone, I mean everyone, to be able to construct and maintain a personal greenhouse. I think our futures depend on it sooner than we think. I really think the pricing I got on Polyfilm is awesome..and it can be tacked up cheaply but neatly and has a 4-year life. I will post pictures once I am attaching it.

Then I will have to get creative making shelving and using all my space. This height inside is up to 8ft of growing space.

Thank you,

You made my Day! :bouquet

Ron