Fireworks Legal in Your State ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in NY fireworks are not legal, only professional displays like Macys. Each town will have professional firework display July 1 to 5. Both in Pennsylvania and Connecticut they are legal and sold in roadside stands. People from Ny would drive into these states and bring back fireworks reselling at great mark up. For years cops turned a blind eye to it. Firecrackers and M-80s would start in June and go to end of July. Police started crack down a few years ago on smuggling fireworks, now your car can be impounded. It is so much more quitter here now. From a month and a half to 5 days.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anything that goes up over 6' is illegal here. Fountains and stuff on the ground only. However, KY and OH next to us allow some that fly...bottle rockets, roman candles, etc. So it's very tempting to drive 20 min. and go there. Can't get the really big ones unless you go south. People bring them back from vacation and set them off anyway. Most places you won't get in trouble (unless you have a retired law enforcement officer for a neighbor, even way out in the middle of nowhere...we got in trouble once letting them off on my dad's farm.) But most people never get reported. You can, however let them off if you have a friend who works for the fire department or fire marshall (which we did the year after the other incident. ;) ) I've never seen so many fireworks set off as I have this year.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ditto what Journey said about the amount of fireworks this year.
I think there were multiple neighbors with the big stuff. It sounded like a war zone for 2 hours. We have 3 new neighbors on our cul de sac, out of a total of 6 properties. And all three went all out on big booming displays. This used to be a boring neighborhood. That's the way I liked it.

I don't know what's legal,but am pretty sure most everything they were using was not. One new neighbor stopped by and invited us to their "display". Neighborly of him, but I cynically figured it was to keep us from reporting them.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I live in MT. The motto here is like guns - "you can have my fireworks when you pry them from my cold dead hands!" Here its almost all legal...the things you can't buy legally you can get on the Indian reservations close by... So its loud. And crazy. Feul pumps turn off at 9 in some towns nearby because of the danger!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey didn't it rain all weekend?

Oh no, it was the most perfect weekend here. Temps in the mid-70's and zero humidity, zero chance of rain. It was especially nice since the Fourth fell on a Friday this year. I'm sorry yours got rained out though!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Anything that goes up or goes bang is illegal here, which keeps business booming in WI. It was relatively quiet around here compared to other years except for the big professional displays in the distance. One of the river bridges to WI was shut down for a couple of weeks due to flooding. Bummer for the guys that popped their sales tent up across the wrong bridge. :D

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess we'll go with whatever @Lavender2 said. I don't know and really don't care about fireworks and its legalities. I do know that we have two large fireworks manufacturing companies nearby -- Phantom and Cornelius.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have NEVER been a fan of having fireworks set off near me or anything that is mine. They scare the beejezus outta me. I do not mind watching displays set off by professionals at a distance. In IA I think almost everything is illegal except things like firecrackers, sparklers and snakes. (Remember those?) So everyone goes to WI or MO and stocks up. My husbands dog goes bonkers, He thinks every bang is a gun shot and want to go get it!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I live in MT. The motto here is like guns - "you can have my fireworks when you pry them from my cold dead hands!" Here its almost all legal...the things you can't buy legally you can get on the Indian reservations close by... So its loud. And crazy. Feul pumps turn off at 9 in some towns nearby because of the danger!
Native American Black Market? :p Wow, kind of hard to imagine but makes sense considering that the reservations are kind of treated as there own places and not subject to all U.S. laws.

Latest posts