First Batch of Biodiesel

KB3GZW

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Made my first batch of Biodiesel yesterday. Did it using the "Dr. Pepper Method". I would like to do it on a larger scale, but the kits are super expensive for what you get, I found the cheapest is about $2500. I think I am going to build my processor using the Appleseed configuration.

For those have never done this. The darker oil on the right side is the waste oil I started with. The light liquid in the middle is the biodiesel, and the really dark stuff on the left is the Glycerine with a little bit of biodiesel on top that I couldn't get out.

I calculated how much it cost me to make it, and I got about $1.30 a gallon.

Biodiesel1.jpg

KB3GZW

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The waste oil is from my own countertop deep fryer. I have a friend that has over 100 gallons in his garage so that is where I would get it from for a while.

KB3GZW

Leafing Out
Reaction score
100 gallons of Waste Vegetable Oil will make 100 Gallons on Biodiesel. You also need to add methanol and Lye, and you get an equal amount of Glycerine from them in the end.

For instance I made 1 liter of biodiesel. I started with 1 liter of WVO, 250mL of Methanol and 7 grams of Lye. I got a little over 1 liter of Biodiesel out and a little less than 250 mL of Glycerine out.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What runs on biodiesel? Anything that runs on diesel? Or only specific engines?

Cassandra

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What are you doing with the glycerine? and how hard is the methanol to come by?

KB3GZW

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Anything that runs on regular pump diesel will run on Biodiesel. I actually don't have any diesel vehicles, I am going to be putting this in my home heating oil. Which you can also use it for. I will be getting a diesel generator to run bio in also.

Right now I am just storing the Glycerine since I don't have very much, but when I get enough I would probably give it to someone that makes soap. I know you can make firelogs from it. I think you stuff a milk carton full of wood shavings and fill it with Glycerine. Then compress it and then burn it. Since it is harmless people pour it in their driveways to cut down on dust. Its also a cleaning agent if you pour it down then brush with a push broom and was away with hose.

Methanol is used as a race fuel and Model airplane fuel. I had a hard time finding large quantities of it, because I did a small batch I used a bottle of Heet. Heet is a fuel line antifreeze and comes in a 12 oz. yellow bottle. I got it at Walmart for $1.28 and only used 8 oz. I got 2 bottles to make an even 3 batches.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
can you post a link to the dr pepper method site. like you I don't need the diesel but this is interesting.