First batch of wild violet jelly

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never made jelly....violet or otherwise. Good idea @pjn !

Strawberry freezer jam would be a good place to start. It's pretty much fail-proof and absolutely delish! So good on a warm biscuit.

I've not made any of the flower jellies, but I've been meaning to. Violet, dandelion and honeysuckle are abundant all around me. I just need to be on the ball and get out there and pick them while they're fresh.

@Ridgerunner , when you make your persimmon jelly, do you use wild or cultivated persimmons? I tried to make persimmon jam last fall with some of the nicest persimmons I've ever found in the wild and when I made up the pulp it was so terribly bitter that I had to throw it out. They had even seen a couple of light frosts and were very soft and ripe. I couldn't figure out what went wrong.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm assuming the violets you want for this are V. odorata. Actually, I'm a little surprised it is available for a lot of you, given your addresses. I didn't think it grew that far north (it sure as heck doesn't as far north as me) . The common blue violet V. sororia may be edible (and, from what I understand. a good source of vitamins) but as it is scentless, I imagine it lacks the compounds that would make it useable for jelly.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 I use a native persimmon, but I wait until they are dried up, really ugly looking, and quite waxy. I don't go by frost at all. They look and feel disgusting but man are they sweet. There is very little of that "pucker factor" left in them even eaten fresh. I guess you call that fresh, they do look kind of disgusting.

pjn

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used the recipe that only called for 2 cups fresh violet petals(no stems) because 8 cups seemed like a lot to gather at one time.

2 cups violets
2 cups water
1/4 cup bottled lemon juice
one (1.75 z) pkg pectin
2 cups sugar

Directions:
1. Rinse and drain flower petals, and place in heat-proof glass bowl. Bring water to boil and pour over petals. Cover and let steep overnight or up to 24 hrs.
2. Strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve, use wooden spoon to press all the liquid from the plant material. The liquid will have a greenish tint at this point. If not using right away, you can refrigerate it for up to 24 hrs.
3. Combine strained liquid with lemon juice in the saucepan (turns purple), the whisk in the pectin and sugar. Bring to full roiling boil, whisking to ensure sugar and pectin dissolve thoroughly, then turn heat to medium high and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
4. Skim off any foam and then ladle into clean, hot sterile jars, leaving 1/8" head space. Wipe lids and screw on rings, then process in hot-water bath for 10 minutes.
5. Remove jars and allow o cool for 24 hours on the counter.

Recipe from Healthy Green Kitchen

I got 7 4 oz jars. I made 2 batches. Easier than the dandelion because you don't have to pull the petals out.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm assuming the violets you want for this are V. odorata. Actually, I'm a little surprised it is available for a lot of you, given your addresses. I didn't think it grew that far north (it sure as heck doesn't as far north as me) . The common blue violet V. sororia may be edible (and, from what I understand. a good source of vitamins) but as it is scentless, I imagine it lacks the compounds that would make it useable for jelly.
Here is a photo of the violets I use.
violets.jpg

Most of the flavor comes from the sugar and lemon! The petal impart the color. :)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually those ARE V. soraria. That would explain my confusion (you really can't grow V. odorata in this country much further north than the deep south. Believe me, I've tried).

I just sort of assumed it was odorata since that is what the (French) violet jelly on my shelf is, and what people usually use for violet confections ( candied flowers, hard candies, pastilles, chocolates, Crème de Violette etc.)

Actually that brings up an interesting question. You said your neighbor's where white. Full white or Confederate violets (white with a blue eye in the center) What I have HEARD of pure white growing wild, I freely admit I have never actually seen it (never seen Delft Blue (white with purple speckles) growing wild either though that's another color morph of the species.)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually those ARE V. soraria. That would explain my confusion (you really can't grow V. odorata in this country much further north than the deep south. Believe me, I've tried).

I just sort of assumed it was odorata since that is what the (French) violet jelly on my shelf is, and what people usually use for violet confections ( candied flowers, hard candies, pastilles, chocolates, Crème de Violette etc.)

Actually that brings up an interesting question. You said your neighbor's where white. Full white or Confederate violets (white with a blue eye in the center) What I have HEARD of pure white growing wild, I freely admit I have never actually seen it (never seen Delft Blue (white with purple speckles) growing wild either though that's another color morph of the species.)

Here are some pics of the violets in my yard! Also have the common all purple. :)
028.JPG

a pale one
029.JPG

white with purple eye
032.JPG

speckled
039 - Copy.JPG

full white
039.JPG

assorted vase full

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually that's just white (the veins on the bottom petal don't count). A Confererate violet looks like this
ViolaSoPr_1.jpg

That pale purple is kind of new to me (though I can easily imagine it being there some violets ARE purple than others)

Latest posts