"FIRST BUILD YOUR GREENHOUSE"!!!!! Out of plastic bottles!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :frow

I came across this information this morning as I was poking around on my laptop when I couldn't sleep.

I have been saving my clear plastic bottles for a while because I had an idea to build a cold frame out of them. this greenhouse is a lot more ambitious! :ep

http://www.reapscotland.org.uk/reports/greenhouse v1.pdf

It was made as a school project in Scotland -- I can imagine all the mums having to save all those bottles.......!!

:rose Hattie :rose

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hattie, That is the greatest idea! What a superb use of recycled materials! It looks ambitious, but so cool! I am definitely keeping that link, maybe I can convince, DH????

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lesa :frow

I thought so too -- I need a greenhouse but I think I'll start with a cold-frame first.......!!

:rose Hattie :rose

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ok that is just too cool an idea!!! I would love to try this!!! I sent a APB out to my friends and family but honestly no one drinks soda much and none of my friends or family drink it in 2 liter bottles anymore ..I wonder where I could score a load of these?

locavore

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ok... that's pretty cool! My dad might just drink enough diet coke to provide with enough bottles over the year. I'll have to call him, lol!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been saving my 2 liter bottles to make a poor man's "Wall-o-water". It really seems to be helping my two stunted tomato plants. (The ducks attacked them and they barely made it out of the incident alive)

I wonder if you could make a version where the bottle still held water?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awesome,

Those kids must be so proud of themselves. Nothing will be an obstacle as big as this in life, and what a gift to give to a youngster!

I see that they did a materials list (very nicely organized through and through). They call for 1500 bottles. Wowser! That's a lot of bottles. About the only thing in that size bottle that I purchase is Soda Water to spritz my plants with. The CO2 of the Soda Water boosts plant growth, especially indoor plants. I hope I am not confusing Soda Water with Zeltzer Water. One of them has added stuff, I just like the CO2 water (just give me the bubbly). LOL

At any rate, I was thinking that there must be a connection for unused, never hit the production-line bottles; I cannot imagine the company that makes these plastic wonders not wanting to find another avenue for their product. I could see someone reaching out to a sales rep and working out a deal that could ultimately lead to some pretty economical greenhouse kits. The kind of kits that kids like these can obtain without a line of credit :/:/

OK, now someone is going to say, Ron you should check this out. I think I'll try a bit of searching later because this is such a fun and cool thing.

I guess there are many avenues to obtaining 1500 plastic bottles, maybe a nursing home, maybe a school, or maybe a factory that has lots of social functions where they can keep a bin nearby.

Thanks for sharing!

Ron

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hattie, you will love using cold frames. I started all my seeds in them this year. The difference is incredible! I can get a real jump on the season using them. But, a greenhouse would be more fun!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hattie, you have come up with some surprising things here!

I have to wonder tho' if the best thing we could do with those large plastic soda pop bottles is just to stop using them. The contents certainly aren't healthy beverages.

I could be going too far with that thought. About the most interesting of this sort of thing in my corner of the world is the Embalming Fluid Bottle House on Kootenay Lake in British Columbia . . . :rolleyes:

I mean "living life" as opposed to . . . ;).

Steve
contemplating a beer bottle potting shed . . .

Latest posts