"FIRST BUILD YOUR GREENHOUSE"!!!!! Out of plastic bottles!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love this so much I sent the link to a friend who is very much into solar and green lifestyle

I wish I could try it at least in part but when you first posted this I put feelers out and no one I know seems to have soda bottles

maybe craigslist I could make a post saying I will pick them up?

crazy but it might work!

but then we have no sun most of the year so what I am I thinking???

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
but then we have no sun most of the year so what I am I thinking???
My greenhouse gets appreciably warmer than outdoors even on cloudy days. I have the doors open today even, because if I don't, if the clouds were to thin somewhat or we got a few minutes of sun here and there, the heat would accumulate over the course of the day.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Hattie, you have come up with some surprising things here!

I have to wonder tho' if the best thing we could do with those large plastic soda pop bottles is just to stop using them. The contents certainly aren't healthy beverages.

I could be going too far with that thought. About the most interesting of this sort of thing in my corner of the world is the Embalming Fluid Bottle House on Kootenay Lake in British Columbia . . . :rolleyes:

I mean "living life" as opposed to . . . ;).

Steve
contemplating a beer bottle potting shed . . .
Ill contribute some raw materials, Steve....

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Daveroo,

I'm still collecting bottles -- It takes quite a while to get enough. I have always used the dark plastic ones for temporary insulation round my hills of soil for zucchini etc. It helps to keep my chickens away from them. I put piles of newly cut grass cuttings round the outside. It means I can usually get the plants outside about 2weeks early (I use fleece over the top at night or cold days).

:rose Hattie :rose

shelleyd2008

Leafing Out
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
ok that is just too cool an idea!!! I would love to try this!!! I sent a APB out to my friends and family but honestly no one drinks soda much and none of my friends or family drink it in 2 liter bottles anymore ..I wonder where I could score a load of these?
You could always try posting on craigslist, or hanging something at your local grocery or some-such.

This is a wonderful idea! I would like to try this myself :)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ok I am getting more and more tempted I may just try the cold frame idea :)

everything I own is recycled I have to say I am really good about never buying new things if I can scrounge or get it used and fix it up I am happy! the only thing in my house that is brand new are the beds and that is where I draw the line :p

a friend of mine just built a beautiful ..and I mean beautiful greenhouse ..I would literally move into it if he would let me! his son is a carpenter and drew him plans and he built it out of entirely used scrounged material ..the wood the hingles the windows the doors everything was from yardsales or contstruction heaps ..took him three years to collect it all and now he has a magnificant piece of art in his yard that is totally functional! he even picked up the paint for the woodwork for free off craigslist!

it is so good for the world dont you think for us to do what we can with what has already been used for something else!

thanks Hattie for starting this ...I agree with the Digits we need to stop using these things in the first place but since we are not doing that yet (as a whole) ...we can at least figure out how to reuse

I made a great rug crocheted out of plastic grocery bags ..seriously it was just beautiful! it looked like it was straw

now I working on a huge rag rug for our basement family room with old tshirts ..it is so pretty! very heavy and eash! (it has to be because I have NO talent for crafty things!)

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight - do you have a pic of the rug? I would totally love to see one and maybe more about how you made it. I love to crotchet.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
Very interesting. I wonder how water-tight that roof is.....
I wondered that too....

But side walls made from the bottles, with a different roof, could make for a good "hybrid."

Latest posts