First light frost of the year!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Night before last. Only in the lowest parts of lawn, and not closer than about 20' to the veg garden which had the tomatoes and groundcherries and lima beans covered anyway...

...but frost nonetheless!

Howzabout everyone else?

Pat

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
Wow what a bummer!

I just looked and I have 73 days before our avg. first frost date.

Good luck with your plants and have fun. :fl
And then doesn't it start warming up again down there? ;)

We've got close to another month before our usual early frost, but it's already down into the 50s at night, so who knows?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
And then doesn't it start warming up again down there? ;)

We've got close to another month before our usual early frost, but it's already down into the 50s at night, so who knows?
I am lucky as far as growing season goes.
Here I have an average growing season of 338 days.

tree10-1.gif

But with that in mind we/I grow tropical plants. So a hard freeze or 2 will put a huge hurting on my babies!

Like last year was hard on my trops. I lost many cool plants. This year I plan on being able to cover pert'near the whole jungle!

Edited to say it is 9:46 PM and it is 81* "moto moto"

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pat :frow

My heart goes out to you -- the watching for the big night chills -- it can happen here in Oxfordshire, UK anytime now!

Luckily we are going through an Indian summer at the moment & I suspect we won't get a frost for a couple of weeks but it is quite chilly of a night-time so my trusty fleece is out at nights & I'm cleaning up my cloches as well as repotting tender plants. Herbs like tarragon, Corsican mint & lemon verbena I have potted up into stacking pots (which I can make into a tall tower) are waiting in a warm, sunny area up near the house where I can snatch them indoors, to safety, if the chill descends. :old

So far it is only Scotland that has had a frost & that is a long way North from me -- but it is a sign of what is to come.

Good Luck for the coming winter, you deserve it as this summer has been a bad one for a lot of people up your way. I worked a lot in Canada, both in Ontario & out in the west so I know just how quickly winter can descend.

:rose Hattie :rose

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Keep the frost in Canada as a frost down here would take billions away from our crops......;)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My average dates are October 30 and April 1, but as Curly_kate said, who knows. This has been a strange year. We've already set records four different times for the lowest daily high on record, all in September. I've planted as if the frost date will hold, but I know where my sheets are and the rocks to hold them in place.

As your end of your "active" growing season approaches (as if activity stops), here's hope you had a successful growing year.

Chicks_N_Horses

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Oh, I see you are in Canda....We won't get a frost until late December or in early January. It has been a cooler year this year though, so it may come a bit earlier....who knows...I hope not LOL

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh wow.... and I'm thinking of turning the AC back on! Its just too hot for me to handle here, even at night!

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
our first frost for sacramento is about nov 14, im learning i have 240+ days of a growing season .. still learning how that will all apply to me .. having frost already is strange to me, its still very very hot here .. high 90's during the daylight and low 60s at night ...

Latest posts