First light frost of the year!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No frost here, but 8 days of rain. :( Mostly cloudy and a chance of rain in the forecast for next week with highs in the low 80's. This is very weird weather indeed because we are usually dry this time of year.

The garden has standing water and my beets are beat down and I don't think they'll get back up. No frost for us for awhile.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've had a few little showers and it was supposed to massively rain today... but luckily they said due to a shift of some sort its pushed the rains off to the west and south of us!

:D

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We didn't get below50 last night, so no frost!
I don't have any tender plants that I am concerned about- the drought did a number on most of the garden at this point.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Eeeek! Lows around here are still upper 40s. Last night we had some condensate on the windows, and I had a nightmare of riding a bike with two flat tires through the snow, but otherwise no frost yet.

Still waiting on my ground cherries to ripen completely, waiting on a watermelon to grow to eating size... I have plastic for the last hot peppers, a bunch of basil I should pick. I built a portable poultry pen/greenhouse thingy, but it's currently full of turkeys, no help to a chilly garden.

I have late-bearing raspberries in the orchard just coming up ripe now. Autumn Britten reds, and mmmmmm are they ever good with cheesecake and homemade yogurt.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I moved to SE Lousiness from Montana and I keep feeling like frost should be coming like I need to get the winter into the garden but I guess I have still like mid- November and stuff like spinach and lettuce could make it though most of the winter with some care.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, last night we got down to exactly 0.0 C (32.0 F) under the eaves of the house, thus a little colder out in the yard. Lost the uncovered tomatoes (the ones with few tomatoes on, that I just picked and took in green and left the plants to die instead of futzing around with bedsheets) and the bush beans and the "outer layer" of the pyramid of pole beans. Even the covered tomatoes got nipped a little on the leaves that touched the sheets.

Supposed to get a little colder tonight, so that is probably it for my beans; maybe the covered tomatoes too.

It's been such a crappy year for the veg garden, though, that I'm not sorry to see it end and stop feeling I have to keep Doing Things out there despite little harvest.

Uh oh - reading Rosalind's post reminds me, I've forgotten to cover the ground cherries that have rooted through their pot into the planter on the front deck and thus can't be moved. My son likes to eat the couple that have ripened each day while he waits for the kindergarten school bus -- I better go find another sheet! :p

Pat