First signs of spring

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I saw my first robin today. Not a sure sighting, although, it is about time for the males to show up. We've had two beautiful days of sun and near 40º temperatures. Tomorrow that changes. Snow>sleet>ice>rain.sleet>snow, sounds like a great day, huh?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw robins out in the field yesterday, and the bluebirds are checking out the bluebird house. I can hear them with their delicate song when I go outside. Thought about putting out some mealworms, but I don't know if they would come over to the deck to get them. Last year I was feeding wrens and bluebirds from my deck. There were lots of baby birds for them to feed!

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@seed
The Muscovy ducks being tropical birds hate the stuff so usually stay in the barn. They hate cold weather, but for some reason they like eating the snow. :p
That's weird. Muscovies are the only waterfowl I raise but when it snows the chickens stay in the coop - the turkeys and muscovies get out and play in the snow.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We are buried in snow here, but I am encouraged by everyone's stories. It has to come here eventually.

Today is beautiful, headed for 38 F and sunny. Back down to single digits and 20's this week, but I've noticed the sun is getting stronger and "cutting into the banks", so to speak. My FIL always proclaimed February 22 as the day the "water started to go downhill", as he would see the melting snow banks flowing down the street. He passed away Monday at 93, but we will always commemorate February 22nd in his honor.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@seed

That's weird. Muscovies are the only waterfowl I raise but when it snows the chickens stay in the coop - the turkeys and muscovies get out and play in the snow.

If I remember the Muscovies usually come out in the snow. It's just with the extreme cold that we've been having and a huge flock of geese and Pekings the pasture is like a skating rink. I don't think that they like the ice.

How many Muscovies do you have? We've had up to two-hundred before but that was our first year when we were just figuring out how good they were at hatching eggs. :confused:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have been seeing what I refer to as Dumb Robins! Seems a bit early even though we have had a few melting days and thunderstorm. But yesterday was cold again and well below freezing wit 50 mph winds. All of next weeks looks VRY cold again. Our last snow set records for the most snow ever! I did not think it was all that bad, just a nuisance. Sure glad I do not live in the North East.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I haven't checked to find out if all this snow has broken any records. It does appear that the polar vortex is on it's way back this week, with cold days and nights below zero.
My name is Robin, and I'm starting to think I'm one of those Dumb Robins for living here :p.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had an Uncle Robin who was the first in the family to move back here near the family homestead. He never left after that and other family members followed him.

:)

I haven't seen the avian robins for I don't know how long! There were a few that showed up in the walnut trees across the road in January 2013 but then disappeared for a few months. My guess is that they will come with a rush (& flutter of wings) this year.

Steve

Latest posts