First signs of spring

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I started with 6 (2 drakes, 4 ducks) and hatched a bunch last year. I think at one point I had around 30 but I butchered most and got back down to 6 again to go through the winter. This will be my last year with them. I'll let them hatch but will butcher everything in the fall. I don't care for the mess they make with the waterers.

I've actually been pretty unimpressed with them in every way. I got them because they were touted to be great meat ducks, great layers and great broodies and mothers. They ARE good meat ducks, growing enormous in about 12 weeks and the meat itself is good. But I found the other two claims to be not so spot on. As layers, they lay consistently, one egg a day, same time of day (early morning) until they've laid a clutch and then that's about it. One of mine last year did lay two clutches but the other three only brooded once so after their one clutch, they were done. It is frustrating to keep feeding them with so little return. As for brooding, they were great at sitting, just not so good at hatching and keeping the ducklings alive. They were, however, very good at contaminating their eggs. They would walk icky feet all over the eggs and before the 5 weeks was up, most of the eggs turned rotten. The first time it happened, the duck rejected the egg and I picked it up, put it in a plastic bag, tapped it against a post and there was an explosion followed by a stink bomb. SO glad it was in the plastic bag - even then the smell was horrendous. I've raised chickens and turkeys for years but had never had a rotten egg before that. Following that, I'd say about 60% of the muscovy eggs were rotten. So by the time they got done sitting, they each only hatched a few ducklings. One duck wound up with a single duckling out of the 20 eggs she started with! (She was the one who did brood a second time and hatched several on her second attempt.) The best hatch was 7 ducklings but that mother lost two of them in the first week. They would just show up dead - no sign of why they died, except I don't think she was taking very good care of them. Compared to chickens and turkeys, I was underwhelmed by their mothering abilities, quite honestly.

I did a little better incubating them myself, which is the only reason I even got up to 30! At least I was able to keep them clean and didn't have any exploding on me.

No idea were the claim of them being great layers came from - they are most certainty not, that's why we have the Pekings. I'm surprised that your ducks didn't have good mothering abilities - are they originally from a hatchery? That could have a major impact on their behavior. The mother ducks usually don't do great if they're working on their first clutch ever. For us, usually the mother ducks can hatch nearly %100 of their eggs - unless they have way too many eggs in the nest to turn properly. Also, the personalities of the ducks vary just as much as dog's do; some just don't make good mothers, those are the ones that we would cull. From what little (useful!) experience that I have, some dirty and rotten eggs are a usual occurrence in waterfowl. We have a rock jutting out of the pond that we just through them at. Originally we tried spiking the eggs with a fork so that they would sink under the water's surface - not smart as they are explosive and very smelly. After that incident my urine smelled like rotten eggs for a few weeks - don't know why? My experience with Muscovies has been just about polar opposite than yours. They'll sit on there clean, perfectly arranged eggs around the clock until they hatch. We've even got an accidental rooster from a batch of duck eggs before! Sadly this is the last year with ours too. We are getting serious about farming for profit and my parents don't want to raise Muscovies for one indescribable reason or another, they'd prefer to raise the ordinary ducks that are about x3 dirtier, too talkative, and rapidly cause a hardpan and soil erosion. Oh well, when I get my own farm... :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, I thought this would be about my friend Christopher . . .

It is snowing . . . LINK go ahead, i dare ya.

digitS as editor

Last edited:

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hahaha, the poor red red robins have their little tushies frozen here, it was 14 degrees this morning with gale force winds pushing it down to subzero. :/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
snow+gif.gif

So, this is what I'm doing rather than filling out 1040 forms?

digitSprite