first timing canning - hoping it all worked out okay

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
First time canner here! I tried a bread and butter pickle recipe from the Ball book.

Just took the pints out of the canner - one immediately went "clipop" and sealed. Of course, I'm sure all the others won't seal and I'll be a failure!

I'm a voracious reader/researcher, but all the reading has done for me is make me freak out that I'll cause botulism!

Just needed to express my worries and thoughts.:/

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't think you need worry about botulism with pickles as there is so much vinegar in them. All you need make sure of is that the lids seal. Don't leave your rings on them on the shelf as this can keep the lid down even though it isn't really sealed. Also, if you should have some that don't seal, just put them directly in the fridge and enjoy them. I finally got my son to finish a jar of them that had been in my fridge for easily 3 years. They were just as good as when they were first made. I had two jars remaining on my pantry shelf from canning day in 2005, one wasn't sealed and I immediately threw it out, not even bothering to look at it or smell it. Our last jar was sealed and is excellant. Did you use tumeric in your B&B pickles? No one in my family likes that spice so I omit it, as did my mother before me and her mother before her. I hope you have someone in your family that you can pass down your own canning traditions to.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use the Ball Book for all my canning. Just love the B&B pickles, goin to do some today. So far this season I have had only 2 jars not seal and that was green beans and we just ate them for supper that night.

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Right after I posted my initial post, my husband called to me "they all popped!!!" So I'll test for sure later, but I feel a bit more confident!

blurose said:
I don't think you need worry about botulism with pickles as there is so much vinegar in them. All you need make sure of is that the lids seal. Don't leave your rings on them on the shelf as this can keep the lid down even though it isn't really sealed.
Oh that's a great suggestion - thank you!

Did you use tumeric in your B&B pickles? No one in my family likes that spice so I omit it, as did my mother before me and her mother before her. I hope you have someone in your family that you can pass down your own canning traditions to.
No I didn't - but I think I'll try some with it next time.
I only have one child, son age 20; I think he would be interested actually in canning if he had some extra time!

thanks again!

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
rockytopsis said:
I use the Ball Book for all my canning. Just love the B&B pickles, goin to do some today. So far this season I have had only 2 jars not seal and that was green beans and we just ate them for supper that night.
Thanks RockyTopsis!

I'm sure I'll feel more confident the more I can. I taught myself how to make jelly/jam when I was 16 and I used the wax method of sealing at that time, and I didn't kill anyone then. There's such bravery in youth!

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am also canning for the first time. I was worried about botulism as well. I used a water bath for the blueberry preserves which had cider vinegar added to it. I submerged them in the water that was 2 inches higher and processed them for 15 mins and they all sealed when they cooled. Does this sound good? I read about the pressure canners, is this an investment I should look into or is the water bath alright?

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It sounds like you did the jam right to me. Thats how I have always made it.You don't need a pressure canner for jelly/jam. Its really if you want to get into canning meat/vegetables.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As long as you are following the recipe there is really nothing to fear from pickles, jellies, jams, canned fruits.

Really it is only NONacid NON-high-sugar things that there's any realistic likelihood of botulism.

Of course pickles, jellies, fruits etc can spoil in other ways (mold, bacteria, etc) but you will KNOW it and thus not taste or eat them.

And honestly I can't say I've ever seen my mom's pickles spoil at all as long as the seal remains intact. Pickles and jelly/jam things are pretty foolproof, really.

So, relax and enjoy :)

Pat

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Pat and Simple Life. I feel better now. :D I really enjoyed canning the preserves. Something very rewarding about it. Now I'll feel better about trying the pickles and Dilly Beans my husband had hoped for. ;)

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Great Job Gardengirl!!:throw It gets easier every time you can and you will gain more confidence. You just need to pay attention to the details with pressure canning and make sure you set your timers. Once you get the hang of it you will think it is easy. Its the prep that is time consuming.

There is nothing more satisfying than looking at all your finished jars all lined up and you know you will be enjoying these goodies when the weather is cold. You will remember putting them together every time you open a jar. -Good times- giggle giggle

Latest posts