Fixing my computers mySELF!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Eldest DD learned to fix her computer problems several years ago when she lived by herself and didn't have the money to hire out for these things. She would go online and follow directions. She is EXCELLENT at following directions.
Sooooo....I will click on my mouse at home, at the office, and accidentally download malware, then I cry for DD. She rolls her eyes, asks me WHY I do these things, sigh, and then fix them for me.
Lately, she has told me to learn to fix my Own mistakes.
WHAT?!?!?!
She wouldn't BE HERE if it wasn't for ME!!!!! WHAT a lack of gratitude.

Anyway...got a new laptop and I have figured out how to download the drivers for 2/3 of my home printers, including the wireless dual tray. Yesterday I figured out how to rid my browser of Fast Package Tracker. This counts as a minor demon bc it makes you search in it's own search bar and then everything opens up as an ad. Can't use my regular Googlefoo skills where I dig deep and go through pages to find stuff, like one does at a library. Doesn't E.V.E.R.Y.B.O.D.Y?!?
Now this irritating malware is gone, gone, gone from my new laptop and from my tower at the office.
SO PROUD OF MYSELF!!!! :weee:weee:weee

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
She is trying to train you in what you obviously trained her.... Give some one a fish and they eat one day. Teach them to fish.......

I PAID for the classes for my wife to get a masters in computer programming. Now all she can do (barely) is turn one on. Complains about people spend too much time on computers, TV, etc but let hers go down-end of civilization. She never does anything or punch anything but yet it is mysteriously broke or virus......must be her dog. She was never this helpless until kids came along and she figured out she can get everyone else to do her work....

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
She is trying to train you in what you obviously trained her.... Give some one a fish and they eat one day. Teach them to fish.......

I PAID for the classes for my wife to get a masters in computer programming. Now all she can do (barely) is turn one on. Complains about people spend too much time on computers, TV, etc but let hers go down-end of civilization. She never does anything or punch anything but yet it is mysteriously broke or virus......must be her dog. She was never this helpless until kids came along and she figured out she can get everyone else to do her work....
Are you talking about me? I am so clueless when it comes to computers. Heck, I can barely use my smart phone!

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
computers are much easier to fix than people. :(

with computers you know that the problems are due to specific issues where with people it could just be something which never can be changed.

having worked with computers since the early 80s i find them very easy and comforting in that i know that if i spend enough time on an issue i can either change it or re-write the software to fix the problem. if it is that important to me i can do it. hardware problems can be narrowed down, parts replaced, new whole computer, etc. software the same (since i mostly use software that i can get the source code to if i want it).

people, i can't fix parts, i can only influence indirectly and often it is rarely heard so my questions or comments don't get far. humility and patience are required to deal with fellow humans. sometimes i lack.

Latest posts