Fixing VS Replacing

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
How do you decide whether to fix or replace? I have a lawn tractor from 70s I picked up cheap. It is used to pull a garden cart. My nephew couldn't get it started this week. I like vintage machines, but am at a lost what to do. CL has used tractors for a few hundred dollars, about same amount I am guessing to fix old tractor. The older I get, the more I like vintage.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's obviously a personal choice. I generally don't get sentimentally attached to things like that though when someone else has stuff like that it really is neat. When faced with a decision like that I try to assess what will give me the best service for the least money. How reliable will it be and how soon will I have to fix it again? It's not just the cost but the aggravation of something breaking down. Since it broke down when you were using it you obviously need it then.

As far as I'm concerned newer does not always mean better. We can get into a lot of discussions on planned obsolescence and things are made cheaper now (I'd probably agree with both of those. As an engineer I'm often embarrassed at some of the junk that's sold these days.) But one big difference is that things are a lot more complicated these days. When I started driving cars did not come standard with air conditioning, radios, power windows, or power much of anything. Today's cars seem to be in a competition as to how much bling can they add to them. As far as I'm concerned a lot of that stuff is just something else that can go wrong. A whole lot of why cars may not seem to be made as well these days as in the good old days is just that there are a lot more things that can go wrong.

The reason I mention this is that your 70's tractor probably has very few moving parts and things that can go wrong. It's quite possible that a fix really will be a fix and will last for a while. It depends on what is wrong and what shape the rest is in. A tractor off of Craigslist might be a great buy, especially if it is an estate sale or someone is moving. Or it may be a piece of junk. Without looking you just don't know. Thee is a good chance it has more features than your old one.

It's seldom an easy choice. Twice this year I've made the decision to repair instead of replace, one a car and one a lawn mower/tractor. So far they both look like a good choice this time.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with Ridgerunner. While older does not mean better (except for me and fine wine) it often means fewer parts to break down and easier to fix. Then the problem becomes finding the needed parts.

I much prefer the old Simplicity. It feels like a solid workhorse. The new Cub has a cup holder but shakes and rattles like the Simplicity never did. I wish I hadn't purchased the new tractor, but as Ridge says, when you need it you don't want it broken down. Soon I will have two tractors -- the new Cub and the rebuilt Simplicity. In the future, I know where I would rather put further repair dollars and it's not with the new guy.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner my DH hates all the bling and bells and whistles tat come standard on trucks today. He had to SPECIAL order a truck without power windows and STANDARD = NOT SHORT bed and rubber floor , no carpet. It took a long time to get, Crazy. This time he lucked out and found a Work Model on the lot, Exactly what he wanted.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I always fix what breaks, I'm expected to. They say. " Richard can fix anything!" actually they're talking about my father, he could fix anything. With me It's mostly luck that things work after I put them back together.
I'm a Journeyman mechanic, but if the truth be known I'm praying as I look something over for help, I'm talking to my father and uncles to help me find the problem and the Lord to let it work as I plug it in or push the buttons.

I use to think I'd rather be able to fix everything than have money enough to just say. "Fix it and bring it back!"
Sometimes I wonder if I was just young or arrogant when I came up with that motto.

Richard

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny Grandpa story: In his later years Grandpa Harvey would take something apart to fix, like a fan. Then give Dad a box of unassembled parts and say *I can't fix this you do it.* 99% of the time there would be a missing part! Poor Dad.

Latest posts