Flower beds WITHOUT Chickens

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, I found a successful way to propagate hops. I just bury a stem and when it roots cut it off the mother vine. I gave away several already this year. Just a little note of caution here Anna, that sweet little hops you installed on your pen will get monstrous. You may have to relocate the other perennials next year. :hide.
I planted a single on my garden fence and it's huge and needs whacking back to keep it from taking everything hostage.
IT seems you have several types of monster / take over plants there ;)

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ahhhhh..... good to know! My neighbor has the other variety so I’ll mention that to her too. i want to put it on a retaining wall by our driveway too, so thanks for the info! That will save me some Moolah.

I expect it will get pretty big - I want it to shade the yard late summer. I anticipate having to do a lot of whacking - I’m ok with that ... I’m even ok having to pull it off the wire and cutting it way back late fall so there isn’t additional snow load on the wire. It’ll be better on the wire yard than VA Creeper, which i have on the corner of the covered yard at the building side. I’ll have to keep that one in check, too.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So are you saying hops is a perennial vine? I guess I assumed it was an annual.

Yes, it's a vigorous perennial. Makes a great vine for shading. I have it growing on a cattle panel arch over my chicken coop and pen. It was just planted a year ago from a start I dug up from the dog run hops, and already it's providing good shade.

Latest posts