Flu

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i haven't gotten any flu shots either, but that is because i'm mostly a hermit and i try to wash my hands and keep them away from my face. my most likely vector for infection is Mom and i try to remind her to wash her hands when she comes home from being out. it doesn't always work, but it helps. we don't get sick too often.

i think in the winter months having really dry air from the forced air heating doesn't help, but i've not gone as far as getting a humidifier yet. i try to drink more water instead.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
About 20 years ago Westchester co board of Health went on a rampage that anyone who works with animals get vaccinated for rabies. Rabies vaccine was given in 3 doses. I had a horrible health insurance company. My Dr did not want to give me vaccine because it was very expensive. He called the Board of Health saying I was at no risk all dogs I was around where vaccinated. Board of health did not care everyone had to get vaccine or they would close the business. 20 years later never heard another thing about animal workers needing rabies vaccine. I wonder if I am still protected ?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I HAD TO GET THOSE TOO!!!! Made me so sick.
I've considered getting a 'titer check' to see if I'm still good.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
In old, old days. Distemper shots and rabies were once/lifetime. Now every year (or 3 year shot), $$$$ maker.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You couldn't PAY me to take that shot. It really bothers me when I hear friends who work in the medical field saying that they are require to get it or lose their jobs... :somad
Many nurses will not take the shot. They finally tell a bit of the truth when they advertise them as being around 40% effective. I used to get them from the school nurse and she always told me I was the only one who every got the flu. I stopped taking them as it did seem to give me the flu. Of course the experts say this is not possible. I go to a homeopathic chiropractor and get a homeopathic prevention every fall. Have not had if for a few years. But, I also am retired form teaching so of course I am no longer surrounded by hundreds of kids every day. I can still remember when the Swine flu was going around. One of my favorite students was sitting in my class looking like she was dying. She was absent with the flu the next day and I guess for a week. I was out the following day and missed 9 days of work. It was such a bad flu. You would start to feel better and plan to go back to work and then get worse again. I remember my legs being weak for a month afterwards.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
As I remember it, when they first started giving the flu shots they were targeted at the elderly to protect them. Then it was the elderly and the people with poor immune systems, then those and the very young. Now they encourage everyone to get them.
I'm hearing on the news that this is the worst year for serious flu outbreaks.
I think we can connect the dots for them...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll take my chances with the vaccine. I'd hate to carry the flu to one of my loved ones.
I would say I get the vaccine every year, and don't get the flu (and don't get sick from the vaccine, except for a really sore arm) but anytime I say something like that out loud, the opposite happens, so I am not going to say it.:rolleyes:
@Nyboy, I hope you aren't sick!

Latest posts