For those who love Fuchsias

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Annette! They are all beautiful, but this one is outrageous!

16936-5ad1d76aae0b23ba7c508f8906ffe5f0.jpg

I would love to find it locally for a clients containers.

You have a wonderful green thumb and I'm also envious of your record keeping. :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Annette! They are all beautiful, but this one is outrageous!

16936-5ad1d76aae0b23ba7c508f8906ffe5f0.jpg

I would love to find it locally for a clients containers.

You have a wonderful green thumb and I'm also envious of your record keeping. :)

that is the one I most coveted too Thistle! ;)

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom yes it is a beauty but if you can't find this one there are several more with very dark corollas, another nice one is 'Blacky' sometimes called 'Blackie' or, just google fuchsias with black/dark or aubergine corollas. It was one of the fuchsias I showed above 'Rose Quartet' that actually got me using a computer, never had any interest in even opening a lid before.
My girlfriend and I were big into fuchsias back in the 80's and early nineties between us we must have had 400 fuchsia varieties between us. She showed me a fuchsia forum she found on Garden Web, this was back in 2007. We read through some of the threads and there was one (A fuchsia with flowers like an asclepiad 'Mutant') they were looking for a name, no-one seemed to know which variety it was but I did, it was so frustrating sitting there not being to give them an answer. I was still mumbling about it on the way home so hubby who's has been into computers since the seventies, he even built his first one from a kit said why don't you join that forum and tell them what variety it is.
Now he's talking to someone who doesn't even know how to turn a computer on :hide.

He sat me down in front of one of his laptops and started showing me the basics, well.... poor man, it was well after midnight before the light bulb finally came on. Now you all know how my screen name came about:D.
He walked me through joining the forum and I was really pumped that I was able to help this person out with a name. It took a couple of years before I felt comfortable using a computer, I don't have to yell for help very much anymore:celebrate. In fact he used to write a few programs and give them to me because if anyone could screw it up it would be me :lol:.

I bought a new camera and started taking pictures of different collections I seem to accumulate as the years go by, mostly for identification purposes but it has since become another hobby. Here I go rambling on again........

Annette

Last edited:

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't think it's one we'll get to try Carol Dee. :(
I didn't do an exhaustive search, but it doesn't appear to be available in the U.S.

Have you tried here http://www.fuchsias.net/ never did get around to ordering from them so can't comment to much about their fuchsias.
I used to get mine from a fuchsia nursery in Oregon when a good selection was no longer available in Canada. Had to pay for a phyto cert. to get them into Canada but it worked quite well if they weren't held up in plant inspections for more than a few days, they did lose a few leaves but otherwise came through O.K.

Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The wonderful world of fuchsias.....Another website to visit to view some unique fuchsias is this Dutch hybridizers site .
http://members.home.nl/henkwaldenmaier/
I've had a few of the Walz varieties that have trickled over to this side of the pond W. Harp, W. Organ Pipe, W. Jubilee Teen (W. Jubilteen over here) and a couple more. There is/was? a nursery on the mainland where the owner brought back a lot of these varieties from Holland. Unfortunately he didn't keep his plants labeled so unless they were in bloom and you knew what you were looking for, you were out of luck, such a shame as he had thousands of fuchsia plants. I used to try and visit in early summer when his plant starts were blooming before he cut them back. Sometimes I scored big time, sometimes I only manged to get my mitts on one or two. Use google translate for English.

Annette

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bought this one two years ago from a hardware store in Shelton
sold as a annual I covered it with a black garbage bag last winter giving it
drinks every few weeks this summer it came back gorgeous and had doubled since I
put in the ground I have it next to one of the domes and will cover it again as
soon as it quits blooming before a frost

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 183