Forestry Mulching

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
At first I was confused because I didn't know what forestry mulching was. Not sure I still do. I'm guessing it just means the land is cleared and everything mulched? It still seems expensive to me but I guess not and that you got a bargain. The best part is that it was all done in one day! That's the beauty when someone else does it professionally. I'm happy you're happy. :)

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
At first I was confused because I didn't know what forestry mulching was. Not sure I still do. I'm guessing it just means the land is cleared and everything mulched? It still seems expensive to me but I guess not and that you got a bargain. The best part is that it was all done in one day! That's the beauty when someone else does it professionally. I'm happy you're happy. :)

Mary

when i had a neighbor go through out back with his brush hog and backhoe to get it back to open field it only ran me $100 and he only wanted $50 but i was so happy for all the work that he saved me i gave him double. it would have taken me a month or more to do it by hand and i'm sure it would have not looked as nice. mainly i do it to keep the scrub/poplar/thorn/honeysuckle/etc trees/bushes from taking over because eventually they will block the light from the East on the vegetable gardens and shade the large ditch.

for @baymule it sounds like they are going to use that space for future pasture, but i'm also sure that getting that brush cleared will be good for wild fire control and reducing how much fuel was in that area to burn if a fire should start.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary it is a machine that takes down trees up to 6” in diameter, chews them up and spits them out, ground to small pieces.

@flowerbug if a fire started, what we cleared wouldn’t make much difference. We are surrounded by forest and open pasture lands.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is a close up of the mulch. The operator offered to run over it again and make it finer pieces, but we were more interested in getting the trees down than fine chip mulch.

CE14E224-3C29-4B6F-AFBE-C60C6CE8A04C.jpeg

The first pictures I posted were the first half. My phone was full of pictures and I had to download some to make room for more. LOL I took this on the other side of those big logs in the first pictures.

A134839C-C0F2-4B99-A95C-1C80429EA87F.jpeg

The back half is pine forest, it is thinned out now. We still have work to do. Now that we can get to the big trees, we can trim them up, like all the dead branches on the cedar tree on the left.

AC5BB9B6-98E2-4320-8DE8-5210A829F86C.jpeg

CD0341D0-EECA-48FD-A13B-8CBE66C93830.jpeg

We have a small patch of tangled forest now, across the pipeline. We are leaving it alone.

CCA840F1-C794-49FB-9711-E03E536E8CC8.jpeg

We sent the operator across the gully to the far back corner and he cleared there.

6A72464A-3E84-4F76-8F58-E484A50A05CA.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary it is a machine that takes down trees up to 6” in diameter, chews them up and spits them out, ground to small pieces.

@flowerbug if a fire started, what we cleared wouldn’t make much difference. We are surrounded by forest and open pasture lands.

oh, good to hear... :)

Latest posts