Forlorn Robin denied Spring Sunshine

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks yummy already!! I've got to get my seed planted (that you so generously, sent me.) I was thinking about direct seeding after danger of frost. Would it better to start it in the greenhouse?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bok Choy is a terribly helpful plant. It is kind of like the Schmoos in Dogpatch - jumping into people's frying pans!

Starting indoors where it is warm, indoors where it is cool, or outdoors in a nursery bed - bok choy transplants easily. It may even grow bigger from having been transplanted, Lesa.

About the only thing that un-does it at this time of year is frost in the low 20's. It will survive but bolt quickly to seed after the weather warms a little.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think our temps should dip that low- I think I will try them right in the ground. I'll cover if we get too cold. If we have temps in the 20's again, you'll be able to hear me crying!

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Umm, I absolutely live on Thai and Chinese stir fries. Steve, tradewindsfruitstore.com has some of the harder to find asian vegetbales, if you're into it like I am. Just thought I'd share since you gave me the great deal over at johnnies' link. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Heavens, warm tradewinds from the south . . . here I am checking on plants from Richters; when will the winds from Canada blow in my plants?

That Trade Winds Fruit outfit was a fly-by-night, I thought - several years ago when it first started to have an online presence. But, it survives! And, the Garden Watchdog has far more positives than negatives about the company!

Nichole, I am still trying to come up with an excuse to order from Agro Hai Tai in Canada. Until recently, I pretended that they couldn't ship to the US. But, they tell us they can!

There's another World of Asian veggies out there!

Steve :cool:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sun is out! Sustained winds above 30mph, gusts above 40mph - outdoor temperature is 44F!

The vents are open in the greenhouse but the temp is 83!

I guess I've got to turn on the exhaust fan! Sheesh!!

S'

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Spring will soon blow your way, I'm wishing it there now! ;)
I've ordered from Tradewinds at least 15 times, and always fast service, good germination, absolutely no hassles. WIll have to check out your Canadian link too, see if they have anything that tweaks my interest.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
After 3 hours I got the fan off before I pulled the greenhouse down :rolleyes:! High winds haven't abated 1 bit :/! Warmed to 52 outdoors and with no exhaust fan, in 30 minutes the indoor heat is up to 75 but it can stay that way. Should close the vents . . . well, no.

Poor plastic tunnel has nearly taken wing several times! It breathes -- only 68 thru the "heat" of the afternoon.

Nichole, most of my Asian veggie seed comes from either Johnny's or Kitazawa . I gave up on Evergreen last year . . . or, they gave up on everybody. Pulled down their catalog right thru the late winter and spring months! Amazing :hu! Must have gone on vacation!

Steve