Foxgloves

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Mother decided to plant lots of foxgloves in my yard last year. Hubby usually mows along this strip, but I saw them and told him to hold off. This morning we left early, about 6:15 am, to go to the beekeeping field day out in South Deerfield, it was very misty/foggy, and I thought the foxgloves were just at their peak. I've never planted them in the yard, they were here when I bought the house, they're all over the woods behind me:

foxgloves-overall.jpg

foxgloves-closer.jpg

foxgloves-closeup.jpg

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Ann, :frow

I just can't get them to grow in my little woodland garden. However I'm about to have another go -- the seeds arrived last week. I love them so much & they would look perfect. :fl :fl this time!! :D

Hope you had a great day, enjoy the rest of the weekend!

:rose Hattie :rose

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those foxgloves look pretty!!
I've been trying to order some seed but hope its still not too late.

Thanks for posting!! ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had one lavender foxglove I grew last year. I fell in love with it!!! So I harvested the seeds and grew many many more from her... sadly, she died and didn't return this spring.... so I planted one of her many daughters in her place.

Oh they are so amazingly gorgeous... one of my favorite flowers EVER!!!!

Hang around and watch when the hummingbirds come.... pure entertainment!!!!!!!!!

:p

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm so jealous!! Foxglove is one of my favorites, but I haven't had much luck with them so far. I have a new site now, and just planted 3 little plants yesterday. Hopefully, they like where I put them this time. :fl

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am so impressed with the displays! Especially that the the flower stalk doesn't need to be staked.

We have problems with Foxgloves behaving more like biennials instead of perennials, being so short lived. The Digitalis obscura is a better choice for our area, will grow in sand and more dry and drought conditions and is a long lived perennial. It isn't anywhere near as gorgeous as yours.
It is orange and yellow, not what springs to mind when thinking of foxgloves!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
we have acres and acres of beautiful flox glove blooming right now but your pictures are so beautiful I could not do justice!

it is all through my yard and we never planted it ..I do encourage it however ..when the seed heads form I shake them where I want them to grow..then they grow where they want to!

I have them coming out of the stone walls ..if you have a rockery try it .they look so cool coming out of stone!

I really enjoy the photos thanks so much and

Happy Solstice! :bee

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Digitalis purpurea, the wild foxgloves in my photos, are biennials. They are not perennials, however, what can happen is they can act like annuals a bit, some will sprout in the very late fall and come up and bloom the following spring, and you think they've returned. They set up a cycle so that there are some blooming every year, yet they always die after flowering. Some particularly strong plants throw off 'pups' from the roots, they can come back and bloom the following year, so you think they're perennials.

I've found just sprinkling the seeds where I want them and letting them be is the best way to propagate them, if I want them somewhere specific, but I usually just let them wander wherever they want to wander.

Latest posts