Foxgloves

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Digitalis purpurea, the wild foxgloves in my photos, are biennials. They are not perennials, however, what can happen is they can act like annuals a bit, some will sprout in the very late fall and come up and bloom the following spring, and you think they've returned. They set up a cycle so that there are some blooming every year, yet they always die after flowering. Some particularly strong plants throw off 'pups' from the roots, they can come back and bloom the following year, so you think they're perennials.

I've found just sprinkling the seeds where I want them and letting them be is the best way to propagate them, if I want them somewhere specific, but I usually just let them wander wherever they want to wander.
Thanks! That is a great clarification.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sylvie said:
I am so impressed with the displays! Especially that the the flower stalk doesn't need to be staked.
Sylvie, I just wanted to let you know, this nor'easter we're having has left many of them leaning left, right and sideways! The winds are strong, and the rain bans roll through and flatten everything - the beautiful show is over!

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Beautiful! :love You know I love the foxglove, Ann. My mom has several different colors and they all cross pollinated, so she has some interesting colors. They pop up all over the place, too. I planted three and now I have about six. They grow like weeds for me which is great because I'm not exactly an experienced green thumb! :hide

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'll have lots of seeds if anyone is interested. You should see them now, poor things, they got pounded on by the wind and the rain :(

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
I'll have lots of seeds if anyone is interested. You should see them now, poor things, they got pounded on by the wind and the rain :(
Ooo ooo ooo ooo!! Jumps up and down on tippy toes with raised hand

I don't have anything to trade back, though. :/ Nothing in seed form anyway. I don't know how anything else would transport unless you'd like a piece of dahlia when they die back.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't need trades, seriously, I have all the plants I need! When I collect the seed I'll put something in the BST section.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ooooo beautiful foxgloves!!!

I have some that re-seed every year, but they only have one or two huge blooms per stem.

Latest posts