Free: New Mason Bee House and extra bee tubes

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was given this by a well-meaning relative, but the problem is I'm terrified of bees (and other stinging insects)! I co-exist with bees that visit my gardens and I understand their ecological importance, but I draw the line at inviting them to take up residence on my property, even this species of solitary bee.

So if you would like this bee house, shoot me an email with your address and I will package up my unwanted gift and ship it to you. I will happily pay the shipping charges to find this bee house a good new home. My email is spedigre@vermontel.net

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was given this by a well-meaning relative, but the problem is I'm terrified of bees (and other stinging insects)! I co-exist with bees that visit my gardens and I understand their ecological importance, but I draw the line at inviting them to take up residence on my property, even this species of solitary bee.

So if you would like this bee house, shoot me an email with your address and I will package up my unwanted gift and ship it to you. I will happily pay the shipping charges to find this bee house a good new home. My email is spedigre@vermontel.net

if you put it at the far edge of the property it would probably be ok.

are you allergic?

we have bees, wasps, etc. all over the place and it is rare that i get stung. most often it is because i get them trapped in my clothes and don't know they are there or if i grab one by accident with my hand when i'm picking a flower or harvesting seeds or such. when i go around and knock nests off the house it does get some of the wasps mad at me, but they eventually go find another place to make a nest.

we have raccoons around here which come in and search out the wasp/hornet/etc nests from among the big rocks, somehow they manage to eat the nests without caring if they get stung or something.

um, anyways, sorry you are so afraid of them. almost every bee in the garden even within a few inches of me is just working on the flowers and not at all interested in me at all. i don't wear any scents which might attract them and i don't swat at them if they are around. once in a while i might get a bee that thinks i'm a flower but they manage to figure it out eventually.

by far the most territorial of all of them are the hornets/wasps and they are such mainly around their nests so if you knock their nests down early off of things you are going to be around they eventually find another place to build a nest.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
flowerbug, do you want it? Just say the word and it's yours! (It will not be staying here. It's creeping me out even sequestered in a spare room behind a shut door.)

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gosh, I'd like it but I just read an article that woodpeckers love to eat them. We have lots of gorgeous woodpeckers here. I feed them BOSS. So I don't know....

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh...another article....
Birds might be attracted to the bee house and keeping your bees safe is easy. Get some wire cloth with 1" openings and attach it to the front of the bee house. Make sure you give the bees space to move inside the house by bubbling the wire so that it's 2-3" away from the nesting holes. This keeps bird's beaks from being able to get to the bees.

And since my soil about 3" down is pure clay, they may like it here in Oregon.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
no, thank you! i have plenty of bees here - i'll let someone else speak up for it. :) thank you though! :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Does it look like this:
1586712443454.png

This is for Mason Bees. They are native to the americas, do NOT swarm or sting. They are solitary, pollinate really well and need this to lay 4 eggs/tube for next year. I would keep it, if I were you.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shoot, I was too late for the party! Story of my life Lol. I would have loved it but glad you found a good home for it.

Mary

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ah sorry, Mary. But I had only one to give away, and it left in the post yesterday. I had to laugh at my own phobia when I realized how relieved I was to have the bee house not just gone, but traveling from one end of the country to the other.... far, far away! I have an irrational fear of the little critters. They are welcome to visit here, but not to set up residence.