free trees from arbor day?

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Today i got a survey in the mail from the Arbor Day Foundation with promises for 11 free trees if i give them $10.

Is it for real?

I immediately sent my husband to the store for a money order.

How can i not do this?!

one crepe myrtle
3 dogwoods
3 redbuds
4 golden raintrees

Anybody else get that?

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
nittygrittydirtdigger said:
The trees are tiny, but the ones I got last year are thriving.
How tiny? Do they just send a box of sticks?

I would love to see pictures of how they're doing. Do you mind?

I'm so excited!

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wish I could post pictures but my camera isn't talking to my computer, ever since I upgraded to Windows 7.

The trees really are tiny, maybe 8" or so, but they had good roots. I didn't expect much for the money so was happy with what I got, and am very pleased that they are all growing. I have them in gallon pots until they are big enough to go out in the back acre somewhere. They are all about three times the size they were when they came.

I also got some other trees from Arbor Day. They were a lot bigger, as described on their website. They are in good shape, too.

Musser Forests occasionally will have a super duper deal on seedlings. Last spring I got FIFTY fir tree seedlings for a dollar with any other purchase. The whole bundle of fifty was about as thick as a can of soup and about 8" tall. I lost about 1/4th of them when we had a heat wave for a couple weeks after I potted them and forgot them. (I am a bad tree-mommy!)

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Here are mine that I got from the Arbor Day Foundation. They are small, but a great deal.

**Only the ones in the Orange Juice Cartons. The ones in the black are Red Currants that I ordered somewhere else. I just got these In November of 2009.

14801_100_0289.jpg

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
nittygrittydirtdigger said:
I wish I could post pictures but my camera isn't talking to my computer, ever since I upgraded to Windows 7.

The trees really are tiny, maybe 8" or so, but they had good roots. I didn't expect much for the money so was happy with what I got, and am very pleased that they are all growing. I have them in gallon pots until they are big enough to go out in the back acre somewhere. They are all about three times the size they were when they came.

I also got some other trees from Arbor Day. They were a lot bigger, as described on their website. They are in good shape, too.

Musser Forests occasionally will have a super duper deal on seedlings. Last spring I got FIFTY fir tree seedlings for a dollar with any other purchase. The whole bundle of fifty was about as thick as a can of soup and about 8" tall. I lost about 1/4th of them when we had a heat wave for a couple weeks after I potted them and forgot them. (I am a bad tree-mommy!)
Oh, that's awesome! Thanks for the info. I don't think i have room for that many of those particular kinds of trees, but i couldn't resist, and i definitely have people i can share with.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
TillinWithMyPeeps said:
Here are mine that I got from the Arbor Day Foundation. They are small, but a great deal.

**Only the ones in the Orange Juice Cartons. The ones in the black are Red Currants that I ordered somewhere else. I just got these In November of 2009.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/14801_100_0289.jpg
Those kind of look like just sticks. Did you get those this year? Did they come like that or did they just lose their growth when it got cold?

edited to add: Thanks a bunch for showing the picture!

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
TillinWithMyPeeps said:

Those kind of look like just sticks. Did you get those this year? Did they come like that or did they just lose their growth when it got cold?

I just got them in November, they were small, and dormant when I got them (Arbor Day only ships dormant trees). These are a mixture: oak, maple, pine, fir, dogwood. I got some 2 years ago from the Arbor Day foundation, and I transplanted them. They were pretty well branched, but still small, (2-3 feet)

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
TillinWithMyPeeps said:
PunkinPeep said:
TillinWithMyPeeps said:

I just got them in November, they were small, and dormant when I got them (Arbor Day only ships dormant trees). These are a mixture: oak, maple, pine, fir, dogwood. I got some 2 years ago from the Arbor Day foundation, and I transplanted them. They were pretty well branched, but still small, (2-3 feet)
awesome! thanks for enduring my ignorance. i'm a newbie. :D

Latest posts