French Black Copper Moran

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, can you take a shot of the head showing wattles and comb. Looking for both color and development. A close-up of saddle or hackle feathers could be informative as Cane said. He may be old enough for the sharp feathers to show up.

From posture and the curling tail feathers I think i might be a roo but lets look closer before panic sets in.
Well panic is already setting in!!!!

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
From pix, does look like a cockerel. Why I hate private poultry people. Maybe they didn’t know but usually they do and have NO problem getting rid of their problem onto somebody else....liars, cheats, and worse.....
I asked if they thought they were all hens and they said yes. Also said if it is a rooster they would exhange it. Let's hope so. The problem is that the exchange will be a much younger one and I wanted them to integrate all at the same time.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look closely at the feathers around the base of the neck and just in front of the tail. If the feathers are uniformly round-ended all over the neck, then probably a hen. If they grow more pointed towards the base.. might be a roo.
Same with the feathers along the back.

As long as folks are getting into specifics and details... they are Marans. Fanciers will make a huge deal of pointing that out and will be sure to correct you if you don't include the S at the end (singular or plural - all are Marans). ;)
Sometimes I think I see them rounded but then I see them pointed! I hoping it's just fear kicking in. :eek:

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I asked if they thought they were all hens and they said yes. Also said if it is a rooster they would exhange it. Let's hope so. The problem is that the exchange will be a much younger one and I wanted them to integrate all at the same time.

Mary
How far away are they?

On pix, put feathers on your hand, take a pix. Easy to see. Think you already know the answer. Wishing will not make a rooster into a hen. In spite of a Dolly Parton movie line..... Do a @baymule , name him, eat him....

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
How far away are they?

On pix, put feathers on your hand, take a pix. Easy to see. Think you already know the answer. Wishing will not make a rooster into a hen. In spite of a Dolly Parton movie line..... Do a @baymule , name him, eat him....
They are about 40 minutes away. I don’t mind that too much. What I
Mind is that I wanted a black Australorp the same age as the others. I’ll take a pic after kids are gone.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
3A2C3C4B-CE52-491E-A5D9-76A48EC44C1F.jpeg

Latest posts