From Martha's Flock

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Understand but anyone can do a fried egg sandwich. If you could find zucchini relish, great eating.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"4 popular tricks promising fast and clean peeling of hard-boiled eggs"

http://www.prevention.com/food/best-way-to-peel-a-hard-boiled-egg

The baking soda in the cooking water apparently works. I think I'll try the idea of shaking one in a glass.

I've watched Jacque Pepin put a pinhole in the eggshell and claim that makes them easier to peel. Actually, I am conscientious about placing them in boiling water with a spoon and leaving them for 15 minutes, with cold water after - they peel easily. Nearly always, the shell cracks. (I'm not usually cooking lots at a time.)

digitS'

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another way is to crack the shell and take off under cold water. Saw that on Food-haven't done it yet.
That's what I do but I do it under running water which is probably not a good thing to waste water.

Valley, I'm going to try it your way. The only problem is I need the eggs peeled now! I guess you need to plan to allow more time.

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always had a difficult time peeling fresh eggs till I did some research.

Lots of suggestions on the net, but the one that works for me is to lower the eggs into boiling water with a slotted spoon. Bring back up to a boil quickly, then
Boil gently for 10 minutes. Boiling too hard makes the green ring around the yolk. Boiling too long makes the white rubbery.
Remove immediately and put into ice water, then let them cool. You can crack the shells when you put them in ice water if you want.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's what I do but I do it under running water which is probably not a good thing to waste water.

Valley, I'm going to try it your way. The only problem is I need the eggs peeled now! I guess you need to plan to allow more time.

Mary
Sometime I just crack they into boiling water.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
One method is to steam them in a pressure cooker ..! I guess you put a steaming basket over a little water.

I haven't tried it but, somehow, it sounds like it makes sense. The time saved is trivial but the pressure is supposed to move the egg away from the shell.

@valley ranch , my thinking on "coddling" is that the raw egg is removed from the shell and cooked in gently boiling water. A spoon may be used to dip water and pour it over the cooking egg so that it cooks more evenly. I like doing that and serving it over my buttered toast but it's a bit too much "pampering" for me to bother with usually. Howsomeever! I can't see how @Nyboy could go far wrong with this technique! Remember, gently boiling, careful with the spoon, and don't burn the toast while trying to do both tasks at the same time.

;) Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
One method is to steam them in a pressure cooker ..! I guess you put a steaming basket over a little water.

I haven't tried it but, somehow, it sounds like it makes sense. The time saved is trivial but the pressure is supposed to move the egg away from the shell.

@valley ranch , my thinking on "coddling" is that the raw egg is removed from the shell and cooked in gently boiling water. A spoon may be used to dip water and pour it over the cooking egg so that it cooks more evenly. I like doing that and serving it over my buttered toast but it's a bit too much "pampering" for me to bother with usually. Howsomeever! I can't see how @Nyboy could go far wrong with this technique! Remember, gently boiling, careful with the spoon, and don't burn the toast while trying to do both tasks at the same time.

;) Steve
I think it might be too much cooking for Nyboy. After all he's cooking 2 things at once. Yep, burnt toast for sure. :eek:

Mary

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, how about this technique?

toad in hole.jpg

digitS'

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I gave them away to clients :hide I don't cook did not want to waste them

you dont cook? thats right you have poison control on speed dial....

farm fresh eggs are so good...yum over easy with hash browns and English muffins..:drool