fruit trees?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I lack patience in this area, we just ordered all of our. This is something better left to someone who's been doing it a long time. Someone with experience who've already made their share of mistakes. :D

But that is just my opinion.

UNLESS of course you are trying to learn how to do this so that you may become versed in it, and become part of the industry to offer such trees to people like me.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You're looking at it backwards ;) Use the planted tree from seed as the root stock. Plant an apple seed and keep it potted till it's around the size of your little finger and then aproach graft a branch onto it from a tree you know gives good apples. Aproach grafting is something that doesn't take much experience and works close to 100% of the time.
Here is a link to aproach grafting but don't plant the seed in the ground as they tell you in step 1. By planting it in a pot till you graft you can tie the pot onto the tree you want to graft your top from close to the branch you want to graft onto it.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/propagation/approachgraft/approach.html

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is just another spammer bringing up dead posts.

kyle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
clones are usful for many tree species, but not all are as "strict as say apples, cherries, lychee etc. Clones are nice because they give you consistency. Seeds are nice because they give you variety. If you are into growing out cool new fruit, plant a few hundred, or as many as you can, and keep the good ones, and ditch the poor ones.

for things like Annona sp. and papaya, clones are not needed, but many are bred for disease resistance, which is nice...and theoretically easier to pass on than a "perfect" fruit :)

ritblak

Sprout
Reaction score
You can also plant the seeds, and with "a"tree (of course, if the seed is viable - many peaches, for example, does not contain viable seeds), but it generally does not produce similar fruits, especially if you get The seeds from.