Garden Master
Reaction score
I travel. :D

ellens winter containers2013 006.JPG

Copy of ellens winter containers009.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Toss out the cheap candies or cookies ??? Instead of them going to waste, give them to the homeless and hungry panhandlers on every other off ramp in town .:weee
Yeah, that's just what the homeless people need is a bunch of empty calories and artificial ingredients.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
When you're hungry, the nutritional value isn't as important to you as the availability.
A 5-star meal would, of course, be preferred. But if someone can afford to purchase ingredients to make 50 ham & cheese sandwiches or 1 lobster tail... which would the crowd hanging around the back of bus station prefer?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend helps out at a food kitchen in her church's basement. The neighborhood is very poor with a lot of homeless. The church as no money for the kitchen it is all donations. Monday- Friday they serve lunch from 11:30 till food runs out. Almost everyday is pasta because it is so cheap. No one eating lunch there ever complains about always eating pasta.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that's just what the homeless people need is a bunch of empty calories and artificial ingredients.
Durring and right after WWII, my family and I ran from the bullets that were all around us first from the red army, then the Germans. We ate whatever we could find in the woods, meadows, burned out farms and towns including plain old grass. When your belly is pressing against your backbone, any empty calories and artificial ingredients would be extreamely welcome to fill the rumbling void that is your stomach.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I understand what @so lucky is saying, and I agree. We aren't talking about ham and cheese sandwiches vs lobster. We're talking about something that can't even be classified as food.

You might feel like you're doing a nice thing, but think about this - this is what you are in effect saying-
'Here ya go, I was going to throw this away, but I remembered you will eat anything, and aren't I generous?'

If you want to be helpful and give something as you pass to a person asking for a handout, why don't you buy a loaf of good bread and a jar of peanut butter. That at least will have something beneficial to give to their body, and won't bust your budget.
And if feeling good about yourself is your motivation, then it will be because it was a genuine act of kindness.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with Thistle. Sometimes someone will say why don't you give those cookies to your kids? Why would I want to give them junk food that I'm not willing to eat? I have no qualms tossing it!

Mary

Latest posts