Garam masala

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
To make Indian spinach curry (love this), it calls for this. At grocery store I see this under different labels all saying they are Garam masala but they use different spices. Same with internet search. Any suggestions?

Cardamom-what does it taste like or how does it alter flavor?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
To make Indian spinach curry (love this), it calls for this. At grocery store I see this under different labels all saying they are Garam masala but they use different spices. Same with internet search. Any suggestions?

Cardamom-what does it taste like or how does it alter flavor?

cardamom is what i would call a soapy/flowery spice. it is used in some breads, in Turkish coffee and of course many other dishes. if you use it go light at first until you know that you like it. if you don't like cilantro you may not like cardamom.

garam masala is a blend as you've found out. every one can be different. i don't like black pepper in everything so i won't put that in the grinder. made from fresh toasted/roasted/fried whole seeds or spices is the way someone who wants to learn the cuisine and techniques will go. the rest of us schmoes may just reach for a blend sold at the store and call it good enough. :)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Garam masala doesn't have a specific set of spices (actually most spice mixes don't) It just has spices that are "warming" in the Aruvedic medicinal sense.

black pepper,mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, bay leaf, caraway(ajwain), fennel seeds, coriander, cardamom, etc. are all pretty common choices. You probably DON'T want to use star anise as that is more of a Chinese spice.

Cardamon tastes sort of fragrantly soapy (sorry that's the best I can do) It adds a distinctive flavor.

You didn't say how much time you had to get the spices, or if there is a price cap. If there is a while, and there isn't one. I could recommend Burlap and Barrels cardamom as some of the best I have gotten (https://www.burlapandbarrel.com/collections/all) There are a lot of other, more exotic spices I could recommend (like long pepper) but you really don't need them (and they'd be hard to find)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love curries. Do you have a recipe for indian spinich curry? I've never tried it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love curries. Do you have a recipe for indian spinich curry? I've never tried it.
I found a recipe n the internet. I found you can substitute cottage cheese for the cheese they called for.

Latest posts