Garden burning up

krzybo

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My garden is just burning up with this Georgia heat. I water, but the plants are cooking from the sun. Anyone else having this problem? We need a break from this extreme heat soon.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's been really hot, but at least today the humidity has broken for a bit. So far, I haven't seen any negative effects on my garden, just my water bill!

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I live near Atlanta and it has been awful. We got a little rain this evening and that cooled things off for a little while. I've lost 2 japanese maples because of the drought and heat.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Guess we have been lucky this year. By this time last year my tomatoes were fried and I had to move them to a spot with afternoon shade (obviously they were in pots). This year, I put in raised beds and located them where they will get shade from about 3 o'clock on. It sure has helped. Our temperatures haven't been horrible yet this year, either, which has also helped.

Hope you guys get a break soon. This sure has been a challenging gardening year, hasn't it??!!

buckie52

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
husband and i have been watering mater plants.we are in central va.some joining counties are getting regular rains.but our garden is drying up also.you would think that we would get use to it,because it happens every summer.just hate for our garden to go,have invested so much time in it.o well their is always next year.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I guess living in Northern Maine does have it's benefits... although I'd love a longer growing season, I'd hate for that extreme heat.

Do you have any means to shade your plants for any part of the day to reduce some of the radiant heat, at least? Or very heavy mulch after watering? Since I don't have any experience with really bad heat, I'm not sure how this would work there, but it's the only suggestions I have to offer. Good luck!