Garden humor thread..

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Considering that that looks like a Brazilian Wandering Spider (i.e. the one whose bite is actually fatal) I'm not sure Steve's response is adequate.
Sorry, Pulsegleaner. I wouldn't have checked with my "Spiders of the World" resource book first. I remember the Banana Boat Song. Bananas + spider = tarantula and "me wanna go home". I'd have been right with Steve and out the door.

Now, knowing it is actually a different, more dangerous spider doesn't change my first inclination to leave the area, STAT.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was gonna say ;).

I have known spiders. Some spiders are my best friends ...

Harvestmen spiders and I have worked shoulder to shoulder keeping the garden safe from bugs. They are getting a bad rap lately! What's all this about them having such poisonous venom? If they can't bite you, they can't bite you, venom or no venom.

It's a little disturbing to know that black widows take up residence along my foundation walls. Whatever keeps them down there and outta the house, I appreciate ...

:) Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Black widows are not a big deal really. Our old house was riddled with them.
Open a cupboard - black widow staring at you, move a piece of furniture away from a wall -black widow...and on like that.
I would just get a paper towel and pick them up and squish. They don't run, they usually just sit there watching the paper towel coming for them. I won't say they didn't get a squeak out of me, I startle easily and when that's not what you were expecting to be it can give your heart a little jump start.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
for those of you that don't like spiders here is an easy chart to identify what you are about to dispose of....
spiderguide.jpg

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i love jumping spiders. they are the ones that i don't usher out the door when i see them. in my old car i had a spider that had taken up residence. it was so small i really never noticed where he hid but i could always see the string going across my windshield. in winter i always thought he died but he'd come back when it was warmed up in the spring.