Garden humor thread..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought Nancy might be commenting on @valley ranch 's Potlatch tomato. I wonder were he got that idea and word.

Welcome, @Nancy Vinci ! If you had picked a tomato fight ;), it might have indicated where in Canada you garden. Although indigenous people may not have carried the tomato further north than Mexico (leaving aside the Cherokee Purple for the moment ;)), the potlatch was used as a social event by Coastal Salish and a few others in the Pacific Northwest.

It was something like a party put on by the wealthy to enhance their status. Valuable items were given away and even destroyed - wealth and power were demonstrated this way.

Salish tribes living here in my area didn't go in for this sort of thing. This was where my Canadian grandfather met my homesteading American grandmother. (This isn't the native American side of my family, however ;).) That grandfather had a history of living almost all the way across Canada.

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
67c5a870238b4374263aa9e2e47c052b.jpg

Nancy Vinci

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I thought Nancy might be commenting on @valley ranch 's Potlatch tomato. I wonder were he got that idea and word.

Welcome, @Nancy Vinci ! If you had picked a tomato fight ;), it might have indicated where in Canada you garden. Although indigenous people may not have carried the tomato further north than Mexico (leaving aside the Cherokee Purple for the moment ;)), the potlatch was used as a social event by Coastal Salish and a few others in the Pacific Northwest.

It was something like a party put on by the wealthy to enhance their status. Valuable items were given away and even destroyed - wealth and power were demonstrated this way.

Salish tribes living here in my area didn't go in for this sort of thing. This was where my Canadian grandfather met my homesteading American grandmother. (This isn't the native American side of my family, however ;).) That grandfather had a history of living almost all the way across Canada.

Steve

Haha, I'm like the only person in my family who hates tomatoes. I don't mind if it's in the burger or some other salad and doesn't produce its strong flavour in the taste buds :p

If I spot the red, then it's a yuck feeling for me. :(

But, I love ketchup...the irony haha

Great to hear that your family has roots from different regions, so diverse wow!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got two tomato haters in my family and it stuns me too. They will eat ketchup, salsa, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce...but won't eat tomato soup, tomatoes themselves, or anything that has large chunks of tomatoes in the sauce.

They claim it's a "texture thing". I'm the same with beans, so I don't bust their chops on it too much. I WISH I loved beans, as they are so good for you, but I can't even stand jelly beans!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW, DD & I love tomatoes. DS HATES them but eats salsa, ketchup, sauces..... irony is that he married a woman that loves fresh tomatoes.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i love 'em. half italian. grew up smothered in tomatoes, have canned 100s of gallons of them... alas, cannot eat any longer. i sneak a slice on a burger and a squirt of ketchup here or there and that's it. miss you babies! sweet 100s were like candy to me when out picking. luckily i can still grow and process them without any rashes breaking out :) i just can't eat them... :(

Latest posts