Garden humor thread..

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
1604717480483.png

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Three Little Pigs went out to dinner one night. The waiter comes and takes their drink order. “I would like a Sprite,” said the first little piggy. “I would like a Coke,” said the second little piggy. “I want water, lots and lots of water,” said the third little piggy. The drinks are brought out and the waiter takes their orders for dinner. “I want a nice big steak,” said the first piggy. “I would like the salad plate,” said the second piggy. “I want water, lots and lots of water,” said the third little piggy. The meals were brought out and a while later the waiter approached the table and asked if the piggies would like any dessert. “I want a banana split,” said the first piggy. “I want a root beer float,” said the second piggy. “I want water, lots and lots of water,” exclaimed the third little piggy. “Pardon me for asking,” said the waiter, “but why have you only ordered water?” You’re gonna hate me for this… I mean really hate me. Hold on to your seat… The third piggy says— “Well, somebody has to go ‘Wee, wee, wee, all the way home.’”

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I laugh in the face of calamity, so my laugh muscles are getting quite a workout.

So that word, calamity, got my attention. Odd word. I tried to look into its history. It must have been before dinner when I read the post, because the only other similiar word I could think of was calamari. It amused me to consider the idea that somehow in our topsy turvy history, a calamity could be associated with a squid. I pondered seafaring tales of giant sea monster squid and the the word calamity and found I suddenly just needed to know.

The connection must be ink. On the one hand Merriam defines a 17th century Italian word:

The word calamari was borrowed into English from 17th-century Italian, where it functioned as the plural of "calamaro" or "calamaio." The Italian word, in turn, comes from the Medieval Latin noun calamarium, meaning "ink pot or "pen case," and can be ultimately traced back to Latin calamus, meaning "reed pen." The transition from pens and ink to squid is not surprising, given the inky substance that a squid ejects and the long tapered shape of the squid's body. English speakers have also adopted "calamus" itself as a word referring to both a reed pen and to a number of plants.

On another hand (squid joke) the wikipedia has a bit of older history:

The Hadith of the pen and paper refers to an event where the Islamic prophet Muhammad expressed a wish to issue a statement shortly before his death, but was prevented from doing so. The contents of the statement, the manner of the prevention as well as Muhammad's reaction to it are matters of dispute between various sources.

Hadith of the pen and paper
Arabicرزية يوم الخميس
RomanizationRaziyat Yawm al-Khamis
Literal meaningThe Calamity of Thursday
This event is also referred to as "The Calamity of Thursday" (Arabic: Raziyat Yawm al-Khamis).[1]

Perhaps they had no ink.

Anyway, I could understand a curiousity driven pursuit of the word further into history, but I have to go do some real plumbing. I will leave you with a sentence that I think would be an appropriate use of the meaning of the word.

The election was a calamity!

I apologize for making a connection between squid, politicians, Mohommad and ink before you have had your coffee.

Latest posts