Garden humor thread..

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use a 5 gallon bucket or a milk crate. Sucks getting old. 🤣👵

some years ago with an older friend i could not figure out why he had such a hard time getting up. he's since passed away so i can't tell him now other than in an imaginary conversation that i understand better...

i'm also thinking that it is quite possible to figure it out again and work back towards it. flexibility and strength as a kind of physical therapy. injuries are the hard bugaboos to work around. i'm still trying, have not given up, won't - death or bust is my motto. or perhaps more accurately perhaps would be crawl... and wiggle? protoplasmic beans, bones are just levers we plop about with, gravity is downhill, pull in the sails and keep a tight jib and all that, pip, pip...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zsoil.png

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
some years ago with an older friend i could not figure out why he had such a hard time getting up. he's since passed away so i can't tell him now other than in an imaginary conversation that i understand better...

i'm also thinking that it is quite possible to figure it out again and work back towards it. flexibility and strength as a kind of physical therapy. injuries are the hard bugaboos to work around. i'm still trying, have not given up, won't - death or bust is my motto. or perhaps more accurately perhaps would be crawl... and wiggle? protoplasmic beans, bones are just levers we plop about with, gravity is downhill, pull in the sails and keep a tight jib and all that, pip, pip...
Sounds like you might be a sailor, Flowerbug! How you talked about keeping a tight jib! Have you been sailing before?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you might be a sailor, Flowerbug! How you talked about keeping a tight jib! Have you been sailing before?

i have done some sailing (my ex-step-dad was a competitive racer type-A captain) and read a lot of books, but alas, i'm not suited for the life at sea (or i'd be there as an oceanographer and lover of ocean reefs and wildlife). there's also a likely chance had i done that could i tolerate the motion i'd probably already be dead since i'm such a klutz. i'd get too enthralled watching critters that i'd forget to check my air or have some shark get me from behind. eek! :) in recent years i've found youtube to be fun for getting my fix of reef life watching and safer that i'm here in my trusty perch. :)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I REALLY embarrassed to say this (since I know it is now MASSIVELY un-PC) but ever since I first saw this as a kid on the Disney Channel (this was the 80's when they would show pretty much ANYTHING they made there.) I have had the chorus of that Andrews Sisters parody locked in my head ( I STILL sometimes hum it while I'm cooking) (about 11:30)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having had some, I REALLY don't get this thing with Krispy Kreme. They're not particularly good donuts; about the same as I'd get at Dunkin if I went there. Having been to NYC, home of the Donut Plant, I suppose I am a little spoiled (though I don't like most of theirs much either, since they can't seem to keep their glaze from shattering and making everything a sticky mess, and their actual dough is kind of over chewy).

Plus, as far as I can tell, the kind of donuts I most crave are largely illegal now. When NYC banned trans-fats they also effectively banned any way of making a real worthwhile apple fritter (which needs the higher temperature that lard or shortening can get to to fry right.) In it's place, we now have these terrible lumpy abominations filled with cheap apple pie filling and covered with an extra thick layer of glaze.

I'd be tempted to try and do a batch of my own except 1. No one in my family really is any good with yeast. 2, We don't actually have a real deep fat fryer and 3. The only NON trans fat I can think of that can take that high a temperature without smoking or burning is camellia oil (the oil extracted from tea plant seeds), and even if I COULD still get that (Republic of Tea used to carry it, but stopped), it's so expensive that getting enough to fill a fryer would bankrupt me.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Having had some, I REALLY don't get this thing with Krispy Kreme. They're not particularly good donuts; about the same as I'd get at Dunkin if I went there. Having been to NYC, home of the Donut Plant, I suppose I am a little spoiled (though I don't like most of theirs much either, since they can't seem to keep their glaze from shattering and making everything a sticky mess, and their actual dough is kind of over chewy).

Plus, as far as I can tell, the kind of donuts I most crave are largely illegal now. When NYC banned trans-fats they also effectively banned any way of making a real worthwhile apple fritter (which needs the higher temperature that lard or shortening can get to to fry right.) In it's place, we now have these terrible lumpy abominations filled with cheap apple pie filling and covered with an extra thick layer of glaze.

I'd be tempted to try and do a batch of my own except 1. No one in my family really is any good with yeast. 2, We don't actually have a real deep fat fryer and 3. The only NON trans fat I can think of that can take that high a temperature without smoking or burning is camellia oil (the oil extracted from tea plant seeds), and even if I COULD still get that (Republic of Tea used to carry it, but stopped), it's so expensive that getting enough to fill a fryer would bankrupt me.
Use clarified butter and be happy!

Latest posts