Garden humor thread..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zface.jpg

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
willfull ignorance is way too much energy for me these days, can we settle for disinterested and apathetic instead?
That works. I had a friend once who used to tell me when I mentioned housework, "The dirty dishes and dusty furniture will be there long after you're gone. Do what you want instead." Words of wisdom!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That works. I had a friend once who used to tell me when I mentioned housework, "The dirty dishes and dusty furniture will be there long after you're gone. Do what you want instead." Words of wisdom!

i spot clean a lot because of all the stuff that gets tracked around from Mom's quilting. i pick spots of it off my socks...

dishes i actually do not mind doing so they're often done by me.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score

Somewhere along the line, I realized that there are three classes of tasks, the ones you HAVE to do, the ones you SHOULD do, and the ones you WAN'T to do. The ones you have to are obvious, they have to get done. The problem comes with the should. To be responsible, you tend to feel you should take care of all of the should tasks before the want tasks. The problem is, once you start you find it becomes IMPOSSIBLE to get to any of the want tasks that way, because the should tasks are basically infinite. If you say "I will complete all of my work before I play." that's basically the same as saying "I will never play at all." There's ALWAYS something else "responsible" you can guilt yourself into doing instead of having fun, if not for yourself, than for someone else. You have to consciously set aside time for enjoyment in order to have any.
At least, that's how it would work in the mind of a SANE person (In mind, the guilt I feel from taking that time off ends up sucking any joy out of it, and I convince myself I'm SUPPOSED to devote every second to work.)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...The ones you have to are obvious, they have to get done. The problem comes with the should. To be responsible, you tend to feel you should take care of all of the should tasks before the want tasks. The problem is, once you start you find it becomes IMPOSSIBLE to get to any of the want tasks that way, because the should tasks are basically infinite. If you say "I will complete all of my work before I play." that's basically the same as saying "I will never play at all." There's ALWAYS something else "responsible" you can guilt yourself into doing instead of having fun, if not for yourself, than for someone else. You have to consciously set aside time for enjoyment in order to have any.
At least, that's how it would work in the mind of a SANE person (In mind, the guilt I feel from taking that time off ends up sucking any joy out of it, and I convince myself I'm SUPPOSED to devote every second to work.)

well that's bogus and probably for those closer to the east coast (the Puritain Work Ethic perhaps). there's life and most people these days are not struggling in survival mode compared to many years ago when if you did not do something you would starve or be without a home. i think that nowadays you have to seriously have to struggle to not have a place to live as most homeless folks i've ever known are often that way due to substance abuse issues or mental issues (which often include substance abuse). there is often food and help to be found...

as for priorities i have three kinds and they are long term, medium term and short-term. emergencies are often just what comes up that must be dealt with as then either there is a potential injury or damage to property. fires, floods, people being jerks, those sorts of things and then animals trying to chew through walls or other stuff like car accidents or family health stuff. generally those just have to be dealt with when they happen. those trump goals of any kinds until you can get back to them IMO.

cleaning, well, nobody is going to die here if i don't clean my dusty floor for a few months. same with the stuff i need to do outside - i can only get to it when the weather cooperates. so that's just how it goes. i do not feel guilty for not dusting any more than i do not feel guilty for not getting any gardening done when the weather is crap. i also obviously don't feel any guilt about not filing certain papers for 10-15 years or it would have been done by now - but at least i have gone through some of them and shredded the useless stuff... etc.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That describes me perfectly. I’d rather go outside and play. Nobody else lives here, so I make myself happy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts