Garden humor thread..

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You don't have to know what used to be in a hole, to know you just fell in one.

and always remember these notes about holes if you find yourself in one:

- check for shovel
- if you were digging it, you can probably stop now
- how deep are you in the doodoo
- is there a ladder
- can you climb out or yell for help
- is anyone around who cares to look for you
- you should have a dog or a cat just in case you find yourself in such straits more than once
- snacks are handy for prolonged visits
- smoke signals used to be helpful, now someone may be curious to know why smoke is coming out of a hole, your call...
- cell phone reception is probably your best bet
- good luck

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
397349968_10161727289199245_8380335600716107082_n.jpg
Usually, what you are trying to remember was part of a sequence of thoughts you were having at the time, and that train of thought has gone on so long and so far your mind has lost track of where you started. Objectively, you KNOW it started with something, since you still have the later thoughts remembered. But you can't trace them back to where they came from anymore. Until whatever stimulus it is that started the train of thought re-appears, you won't be able to pick up the thread again.

Like me and the Fly's Head Equation. I remember WHEN I discovered it (in high school calculus class) what I was doing (playing around with my graphing calculator), why type of equation it is (parametric), what it's supposed to do (draw a fly's head when graphed) that you have to put a negative sign in front of it to make the head come out right side up, and that I still knew it in my freshman year of college, but what it actually WAS is a total blank (I remember in involved some sines, cosines and tangents raised to each other, but everything else is a blur.)

The flipside is when I remember something, but can't remember where I remember it from, so I can't tell if the memory is from real life or some part of a dream I had.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You don't have to know what used to be in a hole, to know you just fell in one.
I stepped in a hole this week and fell down. I looked up to see 300 plus, pounds of dogs running at me, delighted that Mom wanted to play. I have learned, due to experience, that any time I wind up prone on the ground, it’s because I’m a dog trampoline. That makes it difficult to get up, plus any injury I’ve sustained, gets worse. So i scrambled to my feet quickly before the dog avalanche reached me. I was unhurt, annoyed, but had to laugh at the dog’s excitement.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Usually, what you are trying to remember was part of a sequence of thoughts you were having at the time, and that train of thought has gone on so long and so far your mind has lost track of where you started. Objectively, you KNOW it started with something, since you still have the later thoughts remembered. But you can't trace them back to where they came from anymore. Until whatever stimulus it is that started the train of thought re-appears, you won't be able to pick up the thread again.

Like me and the Fly's Head Equation. I remember WHEN I discovered it (in high school calculus class) what I was doing (playing around with my graphing calculator), why type of equation it is (parametric), what it's supposed to do (draw a fly's head when graphed) that you have to put a negative sign in front of it to make the head come out right side up, and that I still knew it in my freshman year of college, but what it actually WAS is a total blank (I remember in involved some sines, cosines and tangents raised to each other, but everything else is a blur.)

i'm disappointed that i never heard about the Fly's Head equation but perhaps i have seen it in another context (like fractal geometry?). i didn't get to pre-calculus in high school. i was one of those people who fell into strange cracks in the institutional awareness and doctors and stuff. in an era before testing for dyslexia or other learning issues and also in combination with not being able to see for some years until they noticed and then the morning issues (i hate morning, don't talk to me, i hate you, etc.)...

there's a song by Alan Parson's called Breakdown which has these lyrics:

"I breakdown in the middle and lose my thread
No one can understand a word that I say
When I breakdown just a little and lose my head
Nothing I try to do can work the same way..."

the whole song is very fitting to me at times.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I stepped in a hole this week and fell down. I looked up to see 300 plus, pounds of dogs running at me, delighted that Mom wanted to play. I have learned, due to experience, that any time I wind up prone on the ground, it’s because I’m a dog trampoline. That makes it difficult to get up, plus any injury I’ve sustained, gets worse. So i scrambled to my feet quickly before the dog avalanche reached me. I was unhurt, annoyed, but had to laugh at the dog’s excitement.

i guess it might be too late to retrain them to some word so you can get them to not pile on... but puppy piles and doggy breath can probably cure about anything eventually anyways (and if they can't you're probably dead or gonna die so why worry about it?) sorry my morbid humor gets in at times and plays about. :) have a fun day give the doggies hugs.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm disappointed that i never heard about the Fly's Head equation but perhaps i have seen it in another context (like fractal geometry?). i didn't get to pre-calculus in high school. i was one of those people who fell into strange cracks in the institutional awareness and doctors and stuff. in an era before testing for dyslexia or other learning issues and also in combination with not being able to see for some years until they noticed and then the morning issues (i hate morning, don't talk to me, i hate you, etc.)...
[/URL]
You never heard of it because it isn't something I was taught, it was something I DISCOVERED. I came up with it, not someone else. That's the problem, if someone else had discovered it, I could simply look it up in a book or online to re-learn it. But since I came up with it, and I never wrote it down (or, at least, never wrote it down somewhere where I can still access it and look it up again,) it's gone. My only real hope is that some other person in my high school calculus class wrote it down when I shared it with them and still has their notebooks from then. But this seems unlikely (most people do not keep their high school note from 25 years ago) and, in any case, I no longer am in contact with any of them (I've never even googled any of them as it felt intrusive of their privacy for me to know where they are now.)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You never heard of it because it isn't something I was taught, it was something I DISCOVERED. I came up with it, not someone else. That's the problem, if someone else had discovered it, I could simply look it up in a book or online to re-learn it. But since I came up with it, and I never wrote it down (or, at least, never wrote it down somewhere where I can still access it and look it up again,) it's gone.

that's sad. maybe it will come back to you at some point.

My only real hope is that some other person in my high school calculus class wrote it down when I shared it with them and still has their notebooks from then. But this seems unlikely (most people do not keep their high school note from 25 years ago) and, in any case, I no longer am in contact with any of them (I've never even googled any of them as it felt intrusive of their privacy for me to know where they are now.)

yes, i get that.

Last edited:

Latest posts