Garden humor thread..

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
More like chickens in central Texas! Fortunately the worst of the storm passed us by now it's just lightly raining. The white blooms are yucca flowers.

upload_2015-5-30_15-20-43.jpeg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That witness protection program must be working very well. The rooster is so many months older than KFC's usual victims that soup or gravy is all the Colonel would want out of him.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
That makes me wonder how a flamingo would taste with that wonderful blend of secret spices that the Colonel is famous for.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, flamingoes get their pink coloration from eating a lot of krill, so I imagine kind of fishy. Maybe a bit like sea duck (if you live somewhere those are a viable game bird) or puffin (never had it, but I have heard they like it in parts on Scandinavia).

Actually, that reminds me of something funny. In NYC around the Union Square area there are a few little cafes. One or two of them make something I have always though of as "the other KFC"..........Kentucky Fried Calamari! That is, their fried squid has a coating that looks and tastes EXACTLY like KFC. I sometimes seriously wonder if someone is actually working part time at one and stealing coating from the kitchen (the only reason I'm pretty sure they aren't is that I know that making KFC actually requires some pretty fancy equipment to cook it like that [for all intents and purposes, KFC is literally boiled in oil to keep it that moist.] and I doubt they could replicate it (actually given that raw squid has even more liquid than raw chicken does, trying to do it that way might actually cause it to explode.) The idea tickled me so much I actually used it sort of in a story I was playing around with (a kind of comedy H.P. Lovecraft pastiche featuring "Capn' Obed's Innsmouth Fried Seafood"

and @flowerweaver , I know it's a little mean, but my parents said that, the last time the saw the news reports about the Texas flooding, all they could think about was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8-BI89mb9A.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you remember the name ? I love fried calamari.

One is the Regale Deli, between 15th and 16th on 5th (though they don't always have it) the other is the University deli, corner of 11th st. and 4th ave (basically Madison becomes 4th as it runs through the area just above Union Square, the same way Lexington becomes Irving place and 3rd becomes Cooper Union/ Bowery and 1st becomes Allen.)

The Pergola café (or rather cafes, since they are a chain) also used to do something similar, but I think they dropped offering fried foods on their hot table a few years ago, in an effort to give themselves a more "health" image (actually it would have been a LOT of years ago, since I remember that back when I last got it there, I could also still get the T42 brand bottled iced tea there, and I don't think that's even been on the market for over a decade.

There also used to be the Central Square, right outside of Grand Central, but that went out of business a few months ago though I suppose it is theoretically possible that, now that the building is being renovated, they could simply be doing a full scale renovation, or they moved elsewhere in the city (I hope so, besides the calamari, the fried fish they had from time to time was absolutely incredible.)

Last edited:

Latest posts