journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep...
tomatoes.jpg

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometime in late May or early June I leveled out Mt. Rotmore and planted some tomato plants and a few different kinds of peppers. Not much of a garden this year because I've got so much other stuff going on. I had PLANNED on trying out my 'garden in the chicken coop' idea so I fenced in the compost circles, got the plants in and left the girls to patrole the area for bugs.
Well... one thing after another and the next free afternoon I had was WEEKS later. The protected grass inside the fence was knee high and LUSH. I had given up the idea of having a garden this year but decided that I should at least pull the grass before I gave up entirely and took up the fence. I found 7 tomato plants and 6 pepper plants!!! One little tomato and 3 itty, bitty peppers!!!
Who knew!?!?!
I'm considering planting veggies randomly all over the yard next year and not mowing at all from May to October....

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometime in late May or early June I leveled out Mt. Rotmore and planted some tomato plants and a few different kinds of peppers. Not much of a garden this year because I've got so much other stuff going on. I had PLANNED on trying out my 'garden in the chicken coop' idea so I fenced in the compost circles, got the plants in and left the girls to patrole the area for bugs.
Well... one thing after another and the next free afternoon I had was WEEKS later. The protected grass inside the fence was knee high and LUSH. I had given up the idea of having a garden this year but decided that I should at least pull the grass before I gave up entirely and took up the fence. I found 7 tomato plants and 6 pepper plants!!! One little tomato and 3 itty, bitty peppers!!!
Who knew!?!?!
I'm considering planting veggies randomly all over the yard next year and not mowing at all from May to October....
Let us know haw THAT works !

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What, do you have some kind of baler now Debbie? ;)
If you do that don't forget to make a map of where you left all your veggies, or devise some tall stakes with survey tape on them for visibility. Oh, and you might need a machete and a pith helmet for when you do go harvesting...
tee hee smiley.gif

I'm just yanking your chain Cane...:D

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@canesisters, one year the best pepper plant I had was a volunteer that grew inside the chicken yard, totally uncared for by me. I couldn't believe the chickens didn't bother it because they level every other plant in their yard except the pigweed.