Garden Tour

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
All weed hoeing, diging the creek and forming the hills with the escavated dirt, placing rocks and boulders ( I got them from a land clearing project about 10 miles from our house ) and then planting the trees (4 crabapple, 7maple, 1cherry, 1river birch, 2red osier dogwood , 7dwarf conifers),10 rhubarb, 5 types of lavender, heathers, heaths, 9 bluebery bushes, 2 black lace elderberry bushes,kinnikinik, salal, zebra grass, Japanese blood grass, blue fescue grass and ground covers 4 types of stepable thyme, were done by yours trully's own hands this past year. I used 2 shovels, pick axe, wrecking bar, wheel barrow and a refrigerator dolly with a 15' long chain to put the boulders in their final places. The brown areas that look like dead grass are actually grass clippings ( 3 inches thick) from 5 neighbors. I use it as mulch to discourage weeds from growing as well as to feed the huge numbers of new worms while last year the worms were quite rare. ;)

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Very nice!! I particularly like the front yard...the angle of the landscaping you put in is great...i prolly would have gone with a boring old square or rectangular bed.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
So those are natural boulders where you live? How about the river rock? Beautiful! The natural rock around here is either limestone, shale or red sharp bumpy rough edged quartzy ugly rocks.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice! Very nice! Snow for only one day...That must also be very nice.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That really turned out beautiful! I love the way you laid out the different sized rocks. Really lovely!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary ... about 10 miles N of Vancouver, Wa. just across the Columbia River from Portland, Ore. . This area averages about 30" +/- of rain per year, however the Summers are very dry. This last July there was only one morning of very light drizzle. This Aug. 2nd we had 0.02" and none since and the forcast is for no rain for the next 2 weeks. Those tall trees in the background over the back fence ,are Cottonwoods, which like damp areas. Since the price of tap water is VERY high here ( go figure), the wise choice is to grow plants that require little water (during the summer draught time )other than what comes from the big sprinkler in the sky. The brown area that look like dried out grass are actually grass clippings from 5 neighbors.
9404_dsc00301.jpg
9404_dsc00274.jpg
9404_dsc00300.jpg

Latest posts