Gardengirl- watermelons??

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I mentioned watermelons on another post and you said you were trying icebox melons? Would you let me know how you are doing with them? If you have any luck at all, I will give them a try next year...The ones I have in the ground now, haven't grown one bit, in a month. All hope is lost!!!! Good luck with yours!

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
I mentioned watermelons on another post and you said you were trying icebox melons? Would you let me know how you are doing with them? If you have any luck at all, I will give them a try next year...The ones I have in the ground now, haven't grown one bit, in a month. All hope is lost!!!! Good luck with yours!
Did they sprout up at all?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started them from seeds in a cold frame. They looked fine, small plants when I set them out. And really, they still look the same weeks later!! I know it is tough to grow melons in zone 4- but people seem to have some success with it...Time will tell.

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
I started them from seeds in a cold frame. They looked fine, small plants when I set them out. And really, they still look the same weeks later!! I know it is tough to grow melons in zone 4- but people seem to have some success with it...Time will tell.
This is my first year to grow anything much less watermelons, but I did notice that once it got really hot here, the vines really took off. I dont know what yalls tempature is like where you are at. Is it in the 90's yet?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
All melons seem to have a tough time of it in cool, wet weather.

Spring here is often cool and wet and contrasts sharply with hot, dry summers.

In 'o8, late May was warm and sunny but June turned cloudy, windy and wet. Many of my melon plants up and died :(.

It is necessary for me to be very careful in selecting varieties that can mature fruit and cantaloupe and others have been carefully thought out. I'm still learning about watermelon but have been able to get away with Sugar Baby in earlier years and have it again for 'o9. Looks like a "go" so far . . . . but, we have been lucky with above normal temperatures and sunshine over the last few weeks :cool:.

Steve

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Lesa - I have a couple watermelons in my zone 4 garden and they aren't dead, but they aren't growing either. Just sitting there. I think Steve's right - it needs to get warmer. I wonder if I put a glass bell over the top if that would make them take off? I don't know - I'm afraid of killing them so I haven't experimented with that one yet.

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything bigger than a sprout here or there, but I just planted last week and then the rain happened. I hope I didn't lose them in the ground due to too much water. I had that happen to the peppers and some of the acorn squash. I have to start from scratch on those. I chose the Sugar Baby watermellon. They mature in 74 days and stay small. 7-9" diameter and 8-10 pounds. I'll let you know when and if they take off. I'm hoping the rain has finally stopped and the sun will start to warm us up. Summer can't get here fast enough!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Have you guys thought about making mini greenhouses over your melons?! My husband created some for my early gardens, and it was nice to just plant the plastic covered boxes over the items that needed it warmer then it was. Perhaps it would be good to place over your watermelon or other melons to get them up a few degrees and get them stronger for a few weeks, and then remove the covers?!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi :frow

vfem that's exactly what I have done but in addition I have added a "hot-bed" underneath the planting area.

I dug a pit & filled it with half-made compost plus newly cut grass cuttings. Then put about 10"of garden soil mixed with mature compost on the top. I left this for a few days before transplanting the melons into the soil last weekend. They are growing away well.

I have mulched the top of the bed with grass cuttings which helps with the heat too. I will top this up with fresh stuff every week!

I have never tried growing melons before so this is an experiment for me. I will let you know how it goes.

Our weather has been chilly& very wet for the last 2 weeks but is now getting warmer again.

I just have a sheet of glass over it at the moment but this week I will fix up a plastic covered hooped house over my extra deep raised bed.

:rose Hattie :rose

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well I'm glad to know my melons aren't the only ones not doing anything. We have had alot of rain and cool temps, the rain is great but we could use some warmth, it is still down in the 40's at night. I think I'll try to come up with some kind of mini greenhouse, maybe I'll try cutting plastic liter bottles and putting the tops over the plants.

Latest posts