Garlic harvest...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa..I believe we grow the soft neck variety over here. I think the weather at Gilroy and Alameda (SF east bay) is pretty similiar.

Mary

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They do look nice. I took two heads of mine in that looked like it wasn't going to dry or store well and they have huge cloves ( I stabbed them with the fork). I am definitely planting them in the fall. I am glad that yours turn out well also.

yardfarmer

Leafing Out
Reaction score
very nice harvest lesa!! i just started pulling our garlic...just love the smell od garlic hanging in the shed

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yardfarmer said:
very nice harvest lesa!! i just started pulling our garlic...just love the smell od garlic hanging in the shed
I do too, but our German Shepherd hates it. If I have garlic on my hands and she is getting to jumping I just put my hand out to her and she sniffs and then runs away. It is very funny.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:weee Whoooooooooo you did awesome! That is a nice haul you got Lesa!!! :weight You rock!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am currently drying it in an old carriage house - by old, I mean no windows, so it is plenty ventilated! Once it has dried for a month or so, it keeps really well on a tray in my basement. I think I will try to store some cloves in olive oil, this year- as an experiment. I actually had too much garlic last year- ended up wasting some, which I felt bad about. So, I reduced the amount this season... I planted bush beans last night, in the "garlic spot"- hopefully, they will make it to harvest before the first frost!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful harvest lesa!
I'm going to grow garlic for the first time this fall. Do you need to mulch the beds before winter or can they just be "as is"?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have always covered my garlic with hay, at some point, before the snow. The other gardeners I know around here, do the same... Is it necessary?? I don't know, but I will continue to do it- since I have had good success. If it ain't broke... and all that!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What a fantastic harvest!! I had some and it was nice--my first try at garlic.I will definately grow it again. I planted mine in November and it just popped up this spring and flourish:.:weee however, it was a tiny crop compared to yours.

Latest posts